Sennheiser MX90 VC
- Sound good, Stability wings
- Nothing of note
As far as earbuds go, the MX90 VC are a great choice, offering impressivesound quality with a stylish and stable design.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The MX90 VC is another of Sennheiser's new pairs of earbuds. Sporting their innovative winged design, they hold firmly in your ears and provide audio that is well above the quality of a typical earbud. While we still recommend over the ear models for true high quality listening, the MX90 won't disappoint the average listener.
As with the MX55 which we looked at recently, the MX90s are designed with a special wing that extends from the tip of the earbud. This wing is covered with a rubber seal, and slips comfortably into one of the top grooves of your ear. Sennheiser's intent here was to lock the earbuds in place, as a typical earbud design doesn't sit firmly in your ear. The end result is a pair of headphones that are great for fast paced activities like jogging or cycling.
The design is reasonably comfortable, although it takes a little getting used to. After an hour we barely noticed the wings were there. The buds themselves are comfortable as well, with interchangeable pads of different sizes and textures, allowing you to achieve the best fit for you. As usual, Sennheiser do not disappoint with regards to sound quality either. While we still feel an over the ear model like the Koss KSC-75 or Sennheiser's own PX 100 is a better choice if the quality of the audio is your top priority, the size, convenience and price of earbuds often make them an attractive option.
The MX90s provide good, balanced sound. We didn't find any one element overpowering, although bass was a little lacking; a common failing of most earbuds. It didn't have the power or extension we are used to.
The mid-range was quite well represented, with strong detail and separation and a fairly lively presentation. Sennheiser models are known for their laidback presentation so this was a bit of a surprise, but a welcome one. There was a lovely clarity to complex instrumental music like jazz or classical which you were rarely hear in other models in this price range.
Our only other complaint was with the highs, which verged on being a little tinny at times. This was probably at least partially due to the low levels of bass making the other elements more prominent.
Overall we were impressed with the sound quality of the MX90s. They were on par with other Sennheiser earbuds, such as the MX55, and they give most regular over the ear models a big run for their money. The lack of bass makes them a little less suited to styles like hip hop or dance, but even these types of music sound quite good.
Aside from the winged design, the other thing Sennheiser is implementing on their new earbuds is interchangeable face plates. Like mobile phones and most other electronics, they are becoming a fashion item, and so Sennheiser are allowing you to customise your earbuds with multiple cases. To be honest we don't really see the point, as they're tiny and will mostly be hidden from view anyway, but it is a nice touch and they do look pretty stylish.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
- Sennheiser's new DJ range of headphones
- B&W P5 headphones to become the ultimate luxury accessory
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW