Sennheiser PC 111
- Design, adjustable microphone, volume and on/off controls, shirt clip
- Long cord easily tangles, susceptible to background noise, some sound leakage
A stylish, over-the-ear VoIP headset, the PC 111 is a solid, if not outstanding product that should serve most users well.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
The Sennheiser PC 111 is an over the ear Internet telephony headset that features an adjustable microphone, volume control and a compact design that can be worn on either ear, making it ideal for travellers.
The PC 111 works with any VoIP or instant messaging client including Skype, MSN and iChat and doesn't require any drivers to operate. It connects to your PC or Mac via a standard 3.5mm headphone and microphone jack. The only downside is that it becomes your computer's main audio source, much like it were a set of speakers. The benefit of this is that its use isn't just restricted to VoIP or messaging applications - although it isn't ideal for music or gaming as there is only a single earphone.
The PC 111 may be a basic device, but it's quite comfortable to wear. Our only complaint is that the cover's sponge material makes your ear quite hot, even during short listening sessions. Conveniently, the unit can be worn on either year by removing the ear clip, and re-attaching it the other way around. The microphone's plastic hinge glides smoothly, so it should adjust to fit anyone.
The microphone itself is loud and clear and a handy in-line volume control and on/off switch sweetens the deal. These controls can conveniently be clipped to your shirt and the three metre cable means you can sit well away from your PC or notebook and still be able to use the PC 111.
Sound quality is above average; calls using Skype were generally crisp and clear, while the microphone handled outgoing sound well. Keep in mind that the quality of any VoIP call depends on a number of factors out of your control, including the quality of your Internet connection. Overall, we preferred the in-ear PC 121, but this is a matter of personal opinion. Being an over the ear unit, the PC 111 is more susceptible to surrounding noise, while also leaking sound far easier.
Also included is a 2.5mm stereo jack, the same connection used on some mobile phones, meaning the PC 111 can be used for hands-free calling as well. We don't recommend this though, as the extra long cord will soon become tangled and cause some frustration. We'd advise to stick to Bluetooth or dedicated mobile phone headsets for hands-free mobile phone calls.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Can Wi-Fi and LTE-U live together? The tests are ready
- New wireless tech from MIT promises password-free Wi-Fi
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Consumers let down by broadband speed and performance: ACCAN
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC