Sennheiser RS 130
- Comfortable, provides surround sound, good audio quality
- Prone to interference from solid objects
Sennheiser's surround sound wireless headphones offer great audio quality a reasonable price.
Price$ 299.95 (AUD)
Sennheiser is a serious name in consumer and professional hi-fi, well renowned for its quality hardware, and the RS 130 surround sound wireless headphones don't disappoint. The kit includes a silver and black base station and matching headphones.
The base station only ships with an RCA connector, but a 3.5mm adaptor is included, providing compatibility with just about any analog device. The kit can cycle between three channels, so you should be able to set them up free from interference, too.
The base station offers a channel selector, surround sound switch, and a hook to hang the headphones when they're not in use. Three LEDs are also present to indicate charge, power and surround sound status. It is possible to switch between stereo and surround (SRS Headphone) sound modes. Metal tabs in the headphones interface with the hook to charge the batteries. The kit includes internal rechargeable nickel-metal hydride batteries (NiMH), which offer up to 22 hours of battery life.
The headphones themselves feature a power switch, volume adjuster and a tuning option. The large earpieces are relatively bulky, but lightweight (280g). The shape allows the headphones to grip the head tightly and form a good seal around the ears. The vented cans offer outstanding bass response and are extremely comfortable to wear for long periods of time thanks to the padded arch at the top of the headphones. Sennheiser claims a range of up to about 100m; however, we found the signal was prone to interference whenever we walked past a solid object like a wall. The headphones did operate flawlessly at short distances--up to around 25m--and offer a sound pressure level of 104dB and frequency response of 18Hz to 21,000Hz.
A comprehensive manual is bundled with the headphones, along with the portable music player/RCA adapter, base station and power adapter. The kit ships with a two-year warranty and offers good quality audio at a reasonable price.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- CCMidrange Technical ArchitectQLD
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Large Telco - URGENTNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/JAVA/SQL) 160621/AP/082Asia
- FTSystems application support analystNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCProject DirectorWA
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCDigital Business AnalystVIC
- CCScrum Master with Java development backgroundACT
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- FTJunior Web DeveloperSA
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT