Serif DrawPlus 8.0
- Good functionality
- Images must be imported
A jack of all trades and master of most, this is an excellent update to a well-loved program. It's simple to use, it includes a huge library of effects and is a highly customisable tool. Best of all, it's easy to produce good-looking results then print them or export to PDF and the Web. The PDF-editing feature is very useful. Professional designers will require more grunt, but it'll make a great buy for amateurs of all levels, particularly as you can use it as an image editor.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Another year, another edition of Serif DrawPlus - we're now on to version 8.0 of this affordable alternative to high-end, high-priced professional drawing packages.
The first thing that strikes you on booting up Serif's vector-based drawing software is how easy it is to use. The interface is beautifully laid out, with intuitive options helping you to quickly create your first document. There are new palettes and a colour wheel to give you total control over swatches. It'll be easy for even the most inexperienced artist to start creating. Other fresh facilities include a selection of design templates, though they are only marginally useful because it's so easy to start from scratch. The program includes a selection of photo-editing tools, including a red-eye remover. It's possible to open and edit Photoshop documents saved as PSD files, and you also get a selection of photo effects to create artwork using snaps.
DrawPlus is never going to take the place of Photoshop in a design professional's arsenal, but if you don't mind the irritation of importing images into a DrawPlus document to edit them, it'll handle your basic photo-editing needs. Serif DrawPlus can even work as a limited CAD (computer-aided design) tool. You can import and edit AutoCad documents that have DXF and DWG file extensions. The program is also set up to let you design Web sites, featuring support for animation and Web graphics. There's a huge library of realistic brush-strokes - there may even be too many to use. The availability of more than 50 dry-paint effects might seem excessive, but not to the developers.
Serif claims that the boundaries imposed by vector-based drawing applications "no longer apply" to DrawPlus, because you can create artwork using nearly 200 vector and bitmap-based brushes. With pastel, charcoal and watercolour categories, there's a ready-made brush for whatever it is you're looking to design. You can even create your own brushes or convert any DrawPlus 8.0 object to a brush using a single click. We found the program to be dynamic and flexible. You're no longer restricted to working with circles, squares, lines and shapes. It's certainly not Adobe Illustrator, but what it lacks in functionality it makes up in pricing.
You get a large selection of clip art -called Objects - although such elements will always appear amateurish alongside photos and professional artwork. Printing is a simple process, and you can export completed documents to PDF.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSAP Fiori Technical SpecialistsACT
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- CCSystems AdministratorNSW
- FTHRIS Systems Support Analyst (Kronos)NSW
- FTCampaign ManagerNSW
- TPSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTTest Analyst - HCMSNSW
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- CCInteraction DesignerNSW
- CCVisual DesignerACT
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- FTSAP Solution ArchitectsACT
- TPSenior Business Analyst - GISQLD
- CC.Net DeveloperACT
- CCIT Information Architect..VIC
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTProduct LeadVIC
- FTSales Lead / Sales Executive - Enterprise IT Healthcare Perm - North RydeNSW
- FTTeam Leader Application SupportVIC
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTProcurement AdvisorQLD
- FTService Desk - Level 1 SupportVIC
- CCVirtualisation / Infrastructure ArchitectACT