Serif DrawPlus 8.0
- Good functionality
- Images must be imported
A jack of all trades and master of most, this is an excellent update to a well-loved program. It's simple to use, it includes a huge library of effects and is a highly customisable tool. Best of all, it's easy to produce good-looking results then print them or export to PDF and the Web. The PDF-editing feature is very useful. Professional designers will require more grunt, but it'll make a great buy for amateurs of all levels, particularly as you can use it as an image editor.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Another year, another edition of Serif DrawPlus - we're now on to version 8.0 of this affordable alternative to high-end, high-priced professional drawing packages.
The first thing that strikes you on booting up Serif's vector-based drawing software is how easy it is to use. The interface is beautifully laid out, with intuitive options helping you to quickly create your first document. There are new palettes and a colour wheel to give you total control over swatches. It'll be easy for even the most inexperienced artist to start creating. Other fresh facilities include a selection of design templates, though they are only marginally useful because it's so easy to start from scratch. The program includes a selection of photo-editing tools, including a red-eye remover. It's possible to open and edit Photoshop documents saved as PSD files, and you also get a selection of photo effects to create artwork using snaps.
DrawPlus is never going to take the place of Photoshop in a design professional's arsenal, but if you don't mind the irritation of importing images into a DrawPlus document to edit them, it'll handle your basic photo-editing needs. Serif DrawPlus can even work as a limited CAD (computer-aided design) tool. You can import and edit AutoCad documents that have DXF and DWG file extensions. The program is also set up to let you design Web sites, featuring support for animation and Web graphics. There's a huge library of realistic brush-strokes - there may even be too many to use. The availability of more than 50 dry-paint effects might seem excessive, but not to the developers.
Serif claims that the boundaries imposed by vector-based drawing applications "no longer apply" to DrawPlus, because you can create artwork using nearly 200 vector and bitmap-based brushes. With pastel, charcoal and watercolour categories, there's a ready-made brush for whatever it is you're looking to design. You can even create your own brushes or convert any DrawPlus 8.0 object to a brush using a single click. We found the program to be dynamic and flexible. You're no longer restricted to working with circles, squares, lines and shapes. It's certainly not Adobe Illustrator, but what it lacks in functionality it makes up in pricing.
You get a large selection of clip art -called Objects - although such elements will always appear amateurish alongside photos and professional artwork. Printing is a simple process, and you can export completed documents to PDF.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- Dell's OS10 aims to open up networks, then whole datacentres
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject Server Specialist / MS ProjectNSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW
- FTC# .Net DeveloperSA
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCDBA (Oracle/SQL)NSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantNSW
- FTLogistics Systems ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCTest ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCService EngineerVIC
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - BaselineACT
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCProject Manager & Coordination OfficerACT
- CCMid-level DevOps EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCTest AnalystACT
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW