Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good, but it can't upscale to 1080p
- Looks good, easy to use
- No HDMI port, no upscaling to 1080p
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player looks good and is easy to set up, but its inability to upscale to 1080p and lack of an HDMI port make it unsuitable for people with televisions that have large screens or high resolutions.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
The Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player has progressive scanning and an attractive design, but its lack of 1080p upscaling and an HDMI output makes it unsuitable for use with large screen televisions.
The Sharp DVSL1200W's piano-black fascia and black aluminium chassis with grey trimming mean it should match most home theatre setups.
The composite and component ports are found at the rear of the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player. Unfortunately, Sharp does not include component video cables. If you switch from component to the composite port without switching off progressive scanning, it will disable your image (and there is no reset button if you accidentally switch over). The lack of an HDMI port means that if you're watching DVDs with progressive scanning enabled, you'll need a television that has a component video port.
Progressive scanning is a display method that draws every single line in an image sequentially as opposed to interlaced scanning, which draws half the lines at a time; it makes the picture look clearer and smoother.
The next model up in this series has an HDMI port and 1080p upscaling, and it only costs $80 more. If you've got a large screen television then you'll want to purchase that one. When we hooked up the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player to a Toshiba 40CV550A LCD television, the picture suffered from some pixilation, stuttering and artefacts.
If you've got a television with a low resolution, however, you will find the Sharp DVSL1200W DVD player suitable. The coaxial digital audio port is capable of handling 7.1 surround sound.
The remote control is easy to use, with well-spaced buttons that cover all the basic functions.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Pew survey shows women bear brunt of online harassment
- EMC buys controlling interest in VCE, its joint venture with Cisco
- Amazon takes aim at Microsoft's Active Directory with new service
- Android ransomware 'Koler' turns into a worm, spreads via SMS
- Bite into your music with jaw-controlled iPhone player
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW