- Clear image, optical audio out
- Poor audio quality
If you're after a portable DVD player to keep the kids entertained on long car trips, you'll appreciate Shinco MDP-1770's clear image, support for most common media formats, and nifty extra features.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Shinco's MDP-1770 portable DVD player resembles a small silver notebook computer and features a top-loading optical drive with navigation and output buttons on the right-hand face beside the drive cover. There are separate outputs for headphones, audio and video, with an additional optical audio-out connector for integration into a home stereo system.
The player handles most common media formats, including DVD, CD and CD-R/RW, but we found we had problems getting it to play burnt DVD movies consistently. Some would work flawlessly, while others would fail to play at all. The MDP-1770 can also play back MP3 music from burnt discs and generate slide shows from Kodak Picture CDs.
The MDP-1770's 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio and sufficient brightness to use in shade outdoors, but it struggled in direct sunlight. A pair of speakers is located under the screen, but the audio playback is a little tinny for serious movie watching; you're much better off using a pair of high-quality headphones.
The player weighs less than 1kg and is obviously designed for use in bumpy conditions, as it features an impressive anti-shock function. We found that the Shinco player was able to maintain playback through heavy vibration, an important consideration if you're buying the DVD player to use on a plane, train or bus.
The bundled rechargeable lithium battery drives the machine for a little over three hours of solid playback, and the player ships with a car power adapter so you don't have to worry about running short on the road. The player also ships with a mains adapter and remote control just in case you want to use it out of arms reach--such as on a coffee table or the foot of a bed, or driving a larger TV in a hotel.
With a reasonable battery life, bright screen and extra features such as optical output, the Shinco MDP-1770 is a quality portable DVD player, backed up by a one-year warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTTechnical/Team Lead - .NetNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCPMO Coordinator- Prince2, Project financialsNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCMarketing Communications Specialist - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCITIL Environment, Configuration, Release Manager- Banking/GovtNSW
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- FTSupport AnalystQLD
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- FTDatabase Administrator / ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW