- Clear image, optical audio out
- Poor audio quality
If you're after a portable DVD player to keep the kids entertained on long car trips, you'll appreciate Shinco MDP-1770's clear image, support for most common media formats, and nifty extra features.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Shinco's MDP-1770 portable DVD player resembles a small silver notebook computer and features a top-loading optical drive with navigation and output buttons on the right-hand face beside the drive cover. There are separate outputs for headphones, audio and video, with an additional optical audio-out connector for integration into a home stereo system.
The player handles most common media formats, including DVD, CD and CD-R/RW, but we found we had problems getting it to play burnt DVD movies consistently. Some would work flawlessly, while others would fail to play at all. The MDP-1770 can also play back MP3 music from burnt discs and generate slide shows from Kodak Picture CDs.
The MDP-1770's 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio and sufficient brightness to use in shade outdoors, but it struggled in direct sunlight. A pair of speakers is located under the screen, but the audio playback is a little tinny for serious movie watching; you're much better off using a pair of high-quality headphones.
The player weighs less than 1kg and is obviously designed for use in bumpy conditions, as it features an impressive anti-shock function. We found that the Shinco player was able to maintain playback through heavy vibration, an important consideration if you're buying the DVD player to use on a plane, train or bus.
The bundled rechargeable lithium battery drives the machine for a little over three hours of solid playback, and the player ships with a car power adapter so you don't have to worry about running short on the road. The player also ships with a mains adapter and remote control just in case you want to use it out of arms reach--such as on a coffee table or the foot of a bed, or driving a larger TV in a hotel.
With a reasonable battery life, bright screen and extra features such as optical output, the Shinco MDP-1770 is a quality portable DVD player, backed up by a one-year warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- TPNode JS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTService Desk ConsultantACT
- FTSenior Test AnalystSA
- FTResponsive Design Developer, Frontend, PHP, WordpressNSW
- FTSales Operations ManagerNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- FTDatabase DeveloperSA
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTCitrix ArchitectNSW
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTAGILE Implementation Manager ContractNSW
- FTHelpdesk TechnicianVIC
- FTResponsive Design Developer, Frontend, PHP, WordpressNSW
- FTFull Stack Software DeveloperQLD
- TPTechnical Analyst - 6 Month Contract - Great Rates Of PayNSW
- FTJava Development Lead/ / Senior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCCommunications Network EngineerWA
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Software DeveloperQLD
- FTSystems AdministratorNSW