- Clear image, optical audio out
- Poor audio quality
If you're after a portable DVD player to keep the kids entertained on long car trips, you'll appreciate Shinco MDP-1770's clear image, support for most common media formats, and nifty extra features.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Shinco's MDP-1770 portable DVD player resembles a small silver notebook computer and features a top-loading optical drive with navigation and output buttons on the right-hand face beside the drive cover. There are separate outputs for headphones, audio and video, with an additional optical audio-out connector for integration into a home stereo system.
The player handles most common media formats, including DVD, CD and CD-R/RW, but we found we had problems getting it to play burnt DVD movies consistently. Some would work flawlessly, while others would fail to play at all. The MDP-1770 can also play back MP3 music from burnt discs and generate slide shows from Kodak Picture CDs.
The MDP-1770's 7" TFT screen has a 16:9 aspect ratio and sufficient brightness to use in shade outdoors, but it struggled in direct sunlight. A pair of speakers is located under the screen, but the audio playback is a little tinny for serious movie watching; you're much better off using a pair of high-quality headphones.
The player weighs less than 1kg and is obviously designed for use in bumpy conditions, as it features an impressive anti-shock function. We found that the Shinco player was able to maintain playback through heavy vibration, an important consideration if you're buying the DVD player to use on a plane, train or bus. The bundled rechargeable lithium battery drives the machine for a little over three hours of solid playback, and the player ships with a car power adapter so you don't have to worry about running short on the road. The player also ships with a mains adapter and remote control just in case you want to use it out of arms reach--such as on a coffee table or the foot of a bed, or driving a larger TV in a hotel.
With a reasonable battery life, bright screen and extra features such as optical output, the Shinco MDP-1770 is a quality portable DVD player, backed up by a one-year warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW