- Great sound
Another great IEM from Shure, the SE210s offer excellent audio quality that will impress most listeners.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Walking through a noisy downtown is a lot more enjoyable if you're wearing a pair of Shure's SE210 sound-isolating earbuds. The preproduction set we tried delivered full, rich sound and kept all but the loudest noises from intruding on our music.
The set costs US$150, which may sound like a big investment considering the low price of some of today's portable audio players. But one reason those players are so affordable is that they come with mediocre headphones. We compared the Shure earbuds with those included with an Apple iPod and found the sound quality of the SE210 set much better, adding depth and reproducing subtleties we hadn't noticed with the Apple earbuds. In addition, we thought the Shure product outperformed the Creative Zen Aurvana In-Ear Headphones, which suffered from a harsh-sounding upper midrange that was unpleasant to listen to and likely to cause ear fatigue over time.
The SE210's full bass response and crisp highs make for a pleasant listening experience. In particular, the Shure earphones demonstrated how much changing the iPod's equalizer setting alters the audio; when we used them, the difference over listening without the EQ seemed far more pronounced than when we listened with Apple's earbuds.
The SE210 set is the entry-level model in Shure's new SE product line, and has a single micro-speaker for each channel. In comparison, the more expensive SE420 earbuds each have a dedicated tweeter and woofer. I tried the SE420 also, and appreciated that pair's better defined low end and subtly smoother response in the upper frequencies. That additional fine-tuning, however, comes with a price tag that's more than double the cost of the SE210.
The short cable of the SE210 is ideal if you have a small flash player you want to clip to your jacket or put in a shirt pocket. The included 3-foot extension cable allows you to stash your player in a bag; it also offers a convenient way to unplug the earphones without having to hunt down your audio player (even without music playing, carrying on a conversation while wearing sound-isolating earphones can be difficult). In addition, the design lets you easily add a Shure Push-To-Hear module (which has a microphone that pipes in outside noise). The only drawback is that this connection adds a little weight to the cable.
The SE210 earbuds may seem expensive, but the price is a small one to pay for full-bodied sound and music enjoyment without any interruptions from the noisy, outside world.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW