- Fast single layer DVD writing
- Slow DVD DL writing, slow CD ripping
Buy it if you want blazing DVD-R and DVD+R performance, but consider another model if CD and double layer DVD performance is a requirement.
Price$ 121.00 (AUD)
The brushed silver finish of this drive looks elegant, and matches the colour schemes and styling of a lot of the small form factor enclosures in Shuttle's range. It is interesting too that Shuttle has chosen to build this drive with a 19cm depth. Short-depth drives, which can be less than 17cm, are desirable not only for small form-factor PCs, but for mid-tower cases, as they allow plenty of room at the rear of the drive for cable management.
The CR40 is one of only a few drives capable of burning 8X DVD-R discs at 12X, and this allowed it to produce very fast burn times in our test. It burnt a full DVD-R disc in 6 minutes and 2 seconds.
Its DVD+R performance was equally impressive at 16X, with our 16X DVD+R disc burning in only 5 minutes and 29 seconds. Its double layer write performance was sluggish though, especially considering it is a 4X burner. It took 37 minutes and 41 seconds to complete a DVD+R DL burn time.
The drive uses the CAV method to write and read at its highest speeds, while burn control algorithms are used to asses the amount of power the write function needs at each section of the burn. This algorithm is said to improve the reliability of the burns, especially as the laser reaches the outer edges of a disc. In our read tests, we found all the discs created by this burner were readable in older drives, and no anomalies or read errors were experienced.
Its CD read performance was very disappointing. This poor read performance was reflected in the time it took to rip a 78-minute CD: a sleep-inducing 10 minutes and 2 seconds.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCData ModellerACT
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC