- Fast single layer DVD writing
- Slow DVD DL writing, slow CD ripping
Buy it if you want blazing DVD-R and DVD+R performance, but consider another model if CD and double layer DVD performance is a requirement.
Price$ 121.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
The brushed silver finish of this drive looks elegant, and matches the colour schemes and styling of a lot of the small form factor enclosures in Shuttle's range. It is interesting too that Shuttle has chosen to build this drive with a 19cm depth. Short-depth drives, which can be less than 17cm, are desirable not only for small form-factor PCs, but for mid-tower cases, as they allow plenty of room at the rear of the drive for cable management.
The CR40 is one of only a few drives capable of burning 8X DVD-R discs at 12X, and this allowed it to produce very fast burn times in our test. It burnt a full DVD-R disc in 6 minutes and 2 seconds.
Its DVD+R performance was equally impressive at 16X, with our 16X DVD+R disc burning in only 5 minutes and 29 seconds. Its double layer write performance was sluggish though, especially considering it is a 4X burner. It took 37 minutes and 41 seconds to complete a DVD+R DL burn time.
The drive uses the CAV method to write and read at its highest speeds, while burn control algorithms are used to asses the amount of power the write function needs at each section of the burn. This algorithm is said to improve the reliability of the burns, especially as the laser reaches the outer edges of a disc. In our read tests, we found all the discs created by this burner were readable in older drives, and no anomalies or read errors were experienced.
Its CD read performance was very disappointing. This poor read performance was reflected in the time it took to rip a 78-minute CD: a sleep-inducing 10 minutes and 2 seconds.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- EU net neutrality discussions to continue into the next year
- Over 23,000 Web servers infected with CryptoPHP backdoor
- Panasonic opens smart town targeting zero-emission houses
- Siemens patches critical SCADA flaws likely exploited in recent attacks
- European Parliament calls on Commission to consider breaking up Google
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA