Sierra Geometry Wars: Galaxies
- Bot-friend who tags along, graphics, controls
- It's so addictive you won't be able to return to your real life
If Geometry Wars: Galaxies isn't flying off store shelves, a lot of DS owners have missed the boat.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Welcome to your next videogame high. This is not hyperbole, believe us; you will touch the stylus to the screen and not be able to put it away. You'll play on the bus or train despite the bumping and jostling; you will play on your lunch break and forget to eat; you will play at every possible free moment, because Geometry Wars: Galaxies for DS is more awesome than you ever imagined it could be.
Like the Wii version, Galaxies for the DS takes the fast-paced duel-analogue shooter from Xbox Live Arcade to an interstellar scale by introducing different solar systems and planets to conquer. There are other important differences, like the bot friend who tags along and can learn a number of behaviours that you unlock with enemy drops known as "Geoms". These enemy drops also unlock levels and function as score multipliers up to a 150 times multiplier. Between the tactics needed to collect Geoms and the strategy in deciding which of your droid's behaviours you'd like to level up first, Galaxies adds at least a couple layers of exciting complexity.
Anyone worried about the controls can relax. When you first see that you'll be aiming via the touch screen and steering with the D-pad while looking at the top screen, it probably sounds daunting or stupid. Luckily, once you play a couple of the training levels, you'll be a pro.
The neon geometry shapes look great zooming around your DS screen until there are too many of them and the slow down strikes, but it's recommended that you take this as we did when were kids: as expressive, cinematic slo-mo, and just enjoy the game. It's too fun to let that bit of technicality get in the way of you and your friends' fun when they join you for multiplayer, which includes a mode where one player drops enemy ships on the other. If Geometry Wars: Galaxies isn't flying off store shelves, a lot of DS owners have missed the boat.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
- Minecraft steps into virtual reality as Samsung Gear VR Edition appears in Oculus Store
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- EVE Valkyrie's new Carrier Assault mode will fulfill your Millennium Falcon dreams
- Doom co-creator John Romero teases new PC shooter
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCInteraction & Visual - Web DesignerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160428/AP/143Asia
- CCUAT Test AnalystWA
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCInfrastructure Assurance OfficerACT
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC