Sierra Geometry Wars: Galaxies
- Bot-friend who tags along, graphics, controls
- It's so addictive you won't be able to return to your real life
If Geometry Wars: Galaxies isn't flying off store shelves, a lot of DS owners have missed the boat.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Welcome to your next videogame high. This is not hyperbole, believe us; you will touch the stylus to the screen and not be able to put it away. You'll play on the bus or train despite the bumping and jostling; you will play on your lunch break and forget to eat; you will play at every possible free moment, because Geometry Wars: Galaxies for DS is more awesome than you ever imagined it could be.
Like the Wii version, Galaxies for the DS takes the fast-paced duel-analogue shooter from Xbox Live Arcade to an interstellar scale by introducing different solar systems and planets to conquer. There are other important differences, like the bot friend who tags along and can learn a number of behaviours that you unlock with enemy drops known as "Geoms". These enemy drops also unlock levels and function as score multipliers up to a 150 times multiplier. Between the tactics needed to collect Geoms and the strategy in deciding which of your droid's behaviours you'd like to level up first, Galaxies adds at least a couple layers of exciting complexity.
Anyone worried about the controls can relax. When you first see that you'll be aiming via the touch screen and steering with the D-pad while looking at the top screen, it probably sounds daunting or stupid. Luckily, once you play a couple of the training levels, you'll be a pro.
The neon geometry shapes look great zooming around your DS screen until there are too many of them and the slow down strikes, but it's recommended that you take this as we did when were kids: as expressive, cinematic slo-mo, and just enjoy the game. It's too fun to let that bit of technicality get in the way of you and your friends' fun when they join you for multiplayer, which includes a mode where one player drops enemy ships on the other. If Geometry Wars: Galaxies isn't flying off store shelves, a lot of DS owners have missed the boat.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- EA delays Need for Speed's PC edition to deliver more speed
- This week in PC gaming: Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers defies gravity, XCOM 2 defies release
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX evolves the classic formula—and puts it into overdrive
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate hands-on: Top-hats, bobbies, and a bit o' ultraviolence
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW