Sierra SWAT: Target Liberty
- The game concept sounds great on paper...
- ...but if your AI teammates can't even jump over a box, you can't even play the game in the first place
Target Liberty will only serve to frustrate even the most die hard of tactical shooter fans.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Imagine it, you're in control of your very own SWAT team in the big city of New York, tasked with bringing to justice the various criminals and terrorists causing a nuisance in the Big Apple.
Though the tactical isometric shooting game, SWAT: Target Liberty shows a lot of promise, ultimately the allied AI and some control issues hold it back from truly shining.
The game primarily consists of a linear series of missions that run the gamut from gang violence to hostage situations. There is an overarching terrorist plot that you will have to foil, but the game's story only serves as a backdrop and to offer up some cheesy-action-movie style camp value. Before each mission you chose two team-mates controlled by AI to accompany you. Each member has their own strengths and weaknesses, be they an intimidation specialist who can get suspects to surrender more easily or a sharpshooter for when you know what will inevitably hit the fan. There is also a rudimentary experience system that allows you to improve the skills of each of your members as you progress.
The primary strength of Target Liberty's gameplay is the sheer number of contextual orders you are able to give to your team-mates. You can have your intimidation specialist call for suspects to get on their knees, or get your interrogation specialist to coax useful information out of an apprehended bad guy. Literally everything from breaching and clearing a room to whether or not to use lethal ammunition is rarely more than a couple of button presses away.
Where the game falls apart at the seams is when it comes time for your AI squadmates to execute your well thought-out orders. It is not uncommon for them to get stuck on obstacles, doorways or furniture and be unable to reach you no matter how many move orders you issue or how you reposition yourself. And as many options as you have to give to your team-mates, targeting an enemy yourself ultimately takes far too long, as you will either find yourself full of holes or your AI buddies will do the only thing they're functionally good at and light 'em up.
In the end, Target Liberty will only serve to frustrate even the most die hard of tactical shooter fans.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- EA delays Need for Speed's PC edition to deliver more speed
- This week in PC gaming: Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers defies gravity, XCOM 2 defies release
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX evolves the classic formula—and puts it into overdrive
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate hands-on: Top-hats, bobbies, and a bit o' ultraviolence
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW