Fabrik Ultimate Backup Home
Fabrik Ultimate Backup Home is a free service that offers local and offsite protection for your data.
- 2GB of free online storage
- If there's a downside, we've yet to find it
We've used Fabrik Ultimate Backup Home for several years with great success. 2GB of free online storage means you can keep safe the files you would cry over losing. If there's a downside, we've yet to find it.
A Mozy by any other name is...Fabrik. Although resold by Hitachi-owned Simpletech, the only differences between Mozy and Fabrik Ultimate Backup Home are the name and the revision of the client software that sits in your system tray waiting to back up your files.
That means that Fabrik Ultimate Backup Home (free) falls under industry giant EMC's umbrella. The 128-bit or 448-bit Blowfish encrypted data you send to them is safe — a lot safer than that data you back up locally.
A 2GB Fabrik account is free, which may make some folks wonder (as in "nothing in life is free"), but it's actually a leader to the US$5 a month unlimited plan. The company figures in the age of digital photos and video, most users will eventually pony up the cash for more space. $60 a year is a small price for peace of mind — even in this economy (take a look at recovery services prices if you don't believe us).
When you install Fabrik, you can have it scan for common data files it recognises such as pictures, movies, Quicken files, Office files, etc. and do a pretty thorough job of it. Or, you may add files explicitly or create filters (e.g., *.xlsx).
Fabrik will back up when CPU usage falls below a certain level or when the computer has been idle for a specified period. You may also set the program back up at a specific time and leave your PC alone the rest of the time — probably a better bet under most circumstances. Restoring files is a simple matter of clicking on the Fabrik virtual drive in Explorer and dragging back the files you want.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delays tools for third-party Cortana integrations
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTProject Manager - Financial Forecasting SystemsNSW
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTInside Sales Consultants - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- CCSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- FTL&D ConsultantVIC
- CCFull-stack Software EngineerNSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTWorkforce AnalystNSW
- FTProduct Manager - FintechNSW
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork Security AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- TPSAP Data Migration LeadQLD
- CCFinancial/Logistics Administration OfficerACT
- TPTechnical ManagerNSW
- FTJunior Applications SupportQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- FTWeb BA LeadQLD
- FTTest ManagerWA
- FTApplication Team Lead - ERP & Microsoft TechnologiesNSW