Skype for Android
The Skype for Android VoIP service lets you text-chat and make Skype voice calls using a Wi-Fi or 3G connection
- Great way to save money
- No video calling
Skype for Android is a useful way to make free VoIP calls without using up your mobile phone minutes. And most people will probably be happy to have an alternative way to make calls when indoor mobile reception is poor. If and when this app is updated to include video calling, it will become a five-star app.
With more than 500 million user accounts worldwide, Skype is one of the most popular free VoIP services around. Skype is probably most famous for its video-chat service, but it also provides telephony (the paid Skype-out feature even allows you to call landline and mobile phone numbers) and text-chat services.
The Skype for Android VoIP service lets you text-chat and make Skype voice calls using a Wi-Fi or 3G connection. Note that you may be charged for using your phone's data connection, though, and Skype for Android can't do video chat. Since most Android phones don't have a front-facing camera, the lack of video chat isn't surprising. Still, it would be nice to see this feature available for phones that can take advantage of it.
Using the Skype for Android VoIP service is fairly straightforward. To begin, log in or create a Skype account if you don't already have one. Skype deserves credit for making it possible to create an account with the app. You can upload a profile photo and add details to your user profile right from the phone.
If you are already a Skype user, the Skype for Android VoIP service lets you integrate your Skype Contacts with your Android Contacts - a huge time-saver.
Making calls is straightforward: just select or type in a contact, push the Call button, and the call begins. In our tests, Skype for Android's sound quality was adequate but not stellar. Conversation was intelligible, but often accompanied by static or a very slight delay. None of these defects were significant enough to hinder conversation in this VoIP app, however.
During a call, you can mute the microphone or even pause the connection. A speakerphone option is also available, but it was not loud enough to be useful in a noisy environment. Skype for Android's speakerphone setting also seemed to be vulnerable to feedback. This feature needs some work.
When receiving calls, you see the caller ID along with your caller's profile picture. The Skype for Android VoIP service also lets you add the caller to your Contacts.
Text chatting in Skype for Android works just like most instant messaging services. You can connect to several people at once in the same chat. However, you can't send photos or files using this VoIP service, which is disappointing.
Skype-to-Skype calls are free with Skype for Android, but you can also purchase Skype Credit to make calls to landline and mobile phone numbers. Charges are by the minute, and vary according to the country you are calling. You can purchase additional Skype Credit within the VoIP app.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Extreme swallows Zebra’s WLAN biz for $55 million
- Facebook to begin testing its Internet drone this year
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Vodafone puts idle smartphones to work to fight cancer
- A look at the connected police car concept (+12 photos)
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- CCSME in Openstack, AWSNSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPJava DeveloperVIC