Skype for Android
The Skype for Android VoIP service lets you text-chat and make Skype voice calls using a Wi-Fi or 3G connection
- Great way to save money
- No video calling
Skype for Android is a useful way to make free VoIP calls without using up your mobile phone minutes. And most people will probably be happy to have an alternative way to make calls when indoor mobile reception is poor. If and when this app is updated to include video calling, it will become a five-star app.
With more than 500 million user accounts worldwide, Skype is one of the most popular free VoIP services around. Skype is probably most famous for its video-chat service, but it also provides telephony (the paid Skype-out feature even allows you to call landline and mobile phone numbers) and text-chat services.
The Skype for Android VoIP service lets you text-chat and make Skype voice calls using a Wi-Fi or 3G connection. Note that you may be charged for using your phone's data connection, though, and Skype for Android can't do video chat. Since most Android phones don't have a front-facing camera, the lack of video chat isn't surprising. Still, it would be nice to see this feature available for phones that can take advantage of it.
Using the Skype for Android VoIP service is fairly straightforward. To begin, log in or create a Skype account if you don't already have one. Skype deserves credit for making it possible to create an account with the app. You can upload a profile photo and add details to your user profile right from the phone.
If you are already a Skype user, the Skype for Android VoIP service lets you integrate your Skype Contacts with your Android Contacts - a huge time-saver.
Making calls is straightforward: just select or type in a contact, push the Call button, and the call begins. In our tests, Skype for Android's sound quality was adequate but not stellar. Conversation was intelligible, but often accompanied by static or a very slight delay. None of these defects were significant enough to hinder conversation in this VoIP app, however.
During a call, you can mute the microphone or even pause the connection. A speakerphone option is also available, but it was not loud enough to be useful in a noisy environment. Skype for Android's speakerphone setting also seemed to be vulnerable to feedback. This feature needs some work.
When receiving calls, you see the caller ID along with your caller's profile picture. The Skype for Android VoIP service also lets you add the caller to your Contacts.
Text chatting in Skype for Android works just like most instant messaging services. You can connect to several people at once in the same chat. However, you can't send photos or files using this VoIP service, which is disappointing.
Skype-to-Skype calls are free with Skype for Android, but you can also purchase Skype Credit to make calls to landline and mobile phone numbers. Charges are by the minute, and vary according to the country you are calling. You can purchase additional Skype Credit within the VoIP app.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google age-discrimination lawsuit may become monster
- Telstra acquires HCS from Inabox
- Why Dropbox left Amazon's cloud and built its own from scratch
- Corporate “No-Cloud” policy in 2020 will be as rare as a “No-Internet” policy today
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCSAP PI/PO ConsultantVIC
- CCProject Manager (Omni-Channel)VIC
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- CCProgram Controls ManagerACT
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCHybrid Mobile App DeveloperNSW
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCSpatial DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Software Developer (Full Stack)SA
- FTSenior Architect, TechnologyNSW
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Healthcare industryVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (System Backup Operation/UNIX) 160615/AP/791Asia
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCMedia AnalystNSW