Textmaker Viewer 2009
TextMaker Viewer 2009 is a lightweight, fast, document viewer.
- Does what it says on the tin, free
- Can't regular expressions for searching
If you've ever received a document file in a format you can't read, Textmaker Viewer 2009 might be for you — just be sure to check the supported formats (most common modern ones, but not a lot of truly ancient formats like Wordstar or Wordperfect) to be sure it will work. It's free, it doesn't take up a lot of disk space, and if it's useful even once, it's worth the download.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
TextMaker Viewer 2009 contains no editing functionality, but does allow you to open, search, and copy text from a variety of common document formats, including .doc, .docx (Microsoft Office 2007), .rtf, and .odt (Open Document format, used by OpenOffice.org).
"It does what it says on the tin," as the saying goes. We were able to easily open a variety of documents. TextMaker Viewer 2009 has a few useful tools to aid in this, such as auto-stacking windows, view scaling (zoom in on a document, show it in two-page mode, and so on), and a reasonable search feature (no regular expressions, but few business users know about them or are likely to miss them).
In addition, TextMaker Viewer 2009 has a Properties window that gives you word counts and other data for the whole document or a selected section. You'll also find a print feature and an e-mailer.
Why use TextMaker Viewer 2009? Sometimes, you are sent documents in formats you can't read — Office 2007 when you have 2003 installed, for instance. Some new computers might not have Office installed. Or you might not like Office. (Imagine that!)
Or you might not want to bloat memory firing up Office just to read a memo or manual.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
- Michelle Rowland to lead broadband fight for Labor
- Chinese $1.2B deal for Opera crumples
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- FTJDE DeveloperVIC
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - EUCNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCSenior Data ArchitectNSW
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCGeo-spatial AdministratorVIC
- FTFull stack (back end focus) Java Developer | Defence | NV1ACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia
- CCPortfolio AnalystVIC
- CCUX / UI Visual DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Process AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia