Soniq iM600K iPod dock
A cheap Soniq iPod dock with impressive sound quality
- Great audio quality, solid build, charges iPod and has a very nice price
- Attracts fingerprints, motorised dock could be a tad faster
If you’re in the market for an iPod dock and don’t want to spend a lot of money, then run out of your house flailing your arms excitedly and buy the Soniq iM600K. It’s got an line-in port for connecting non-Apple MP3 players and it delivers better audio than some pricier iPod docks.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Soniq's iM600K iPod dock impressed us with its sound quality and low $129 price tag.
It looks somewhat like a fancy futuristic toaster, but the Soniq iM600K is actually rather easy on the eye. The iM600K has a black satin finish that looks nice, though it cops fingerprints like a crime scene so it’s probably a good idea to give it a wipe down every now and then. A brushed aluminium border around the bottom of the unit gives the otherwise very minimalist design some pizzazz.
Soniq has motorised the dock for the iPod so that it rises up from inside the device (slowly). A window with a mirrored finish sits in unit's centre and lets you to see your iPod or iPhone. You can navigate through music with the bundled remote control.
The iM600K might seem surprisingly big considering its lack of features; an alarm clock and an FM radio tuner, as well as the dock itself, are all that's on offer. The reason for the bulk is the integrated subwoofer and two very impressive speakers.
Audio quality was surprisingly pleasing; treble, bass and mid tones all have a good level of clarity and are able to expose fine detail in our test music. There is minimal distortion when volume is high, and when the bass booster is switched on it doesn’t muffle the audio (unlike the Philips DC350).
The unit will connect with any iPod that has dock connector; the iPhone is not officially supported but it worked perfectly during our tests. An auxiliary input at the back of the Soniq iM600K allows you to plug in any other MP3 player. (You won't be able to use the motorised dock, but you could always employ it as some kind of motorised wallet holder.)
We were thoroughly impressed with the Soniq iM600K. The motorised iPod cradle is somewhat gimmicky, but the iM600K is great for anyone with a digital music library who wants to keep their iPod charged. If you're in the market for an iPod dock then you should definitely check it out.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Startup SQLdep aims to help DBAs stay sane
- BlackBerry's deal to buy voice crypto company Secusmart blessed by German government
- France, Germany want EU to take a tougher stance on tech firms
- Distracted? Slap this Hitachi gizmo on your forehead to focus
- Divoom Voombox-Travel rugged Bluetooth speaker
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Manager | Online Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTClient Services Manager | Digital Client Services ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC