Sony Alpha NEX-5 (NEX5KS) digital camera
Sony Alpha NEX-5 review: The Alpha NEX-5 embodies the out-of-the-box thinking that gadget fans often admire about Sony
- Small but comfortable to hold, great image quality
- Lens-based image stabilisation
The Sony Alpha NEX-5 is an excellent camera for people upgrading from compacts who want to increase capability but not bulk.
Price$ 1,049.00 (AUD)
Sony's Alpha NEX-5 bridges the gap between compact camera and digital SLR with some high-performance features.
The Alpha NEX-5 embodies the out-of-the-box thinking that gadget fans often admire about Sony. This camera brings together features from both point-and-shoots and digital SLRs. Its high-performance features, which include the 14.2mp, APS-C CMOS sensor, a 25-point autofocus system, and a 7fps burst mode, go beyond the world of compact cameras.
Yet, the Sony Alpha NEX-5’s 285g body is so compact that the diameter of the 18-55mm E-mount lens barrel extends above the top plate. The camera's 3in LCD screen occupies most of the real estate on the back of the body, leaving just enough space for three buttons and a dial. And even though the NEX-5 is petite, it’s still comfortable to hold.
The LCD angles upward 80-degrees and downward 45-degrees. That means no matter which angle you want to hold the camera for shooting, you can adjust the screen to accommodate, which encourages you to shoot more creatively. Keep in mind that the Sony Alpha NEX-5 has no optical or electronic viewfinder, though an optional electric viewfinder can be bought separately.
The Sony Alpha NEX-5 has a total of six external buttons, including the shutter release. Sony pulls this off by using a clever menu system that’s graphical and easy to navigate. For example, instead of putting a physical mode dial on top of the camera, Sony creates a picture of one on the LCD that you can rotate using the multipurpose dial on the back. After about an hour of shooting, we were able to find all the settings we needed using this unique system.
The Sony Alpha NEX-5 performs like a digital SLR camera when it comes to image quality. Exposure, colour fidelity, sharpness, and image noise are impressive – it out-performed other interchangable-lens cameras in our lab’s subject image quality tests.
We decided to push the limits and take the Sony Alpha NEX-5 to a basketball game and shoot at ISO 1600 and 3200. The shots were solid with saturated colours and well-controlled image noise. Plus, shooting at 7fps enabled us to capture action that we would have missed with a compact camera. Raw capture is available too, but it limits burst mode to eight shots or five frames for Raw+JPEG.
In the Sony Alpha NEX-5 camera's Movie mode, both the video and the stereo audio quality are very good.
The Alpha NEX-5’s small body means that Sony had to opt for lens-based stabilisation instead of in-body. At the time of writing, a stabilised 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom and 16mm f/2.8 prime lens in the new E-mount were available. Both are quality optics that look handsome on the camera.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCData ModellerACT
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectACT
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- FTDB2 Systems ProgrammerWA
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia