Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S90
- Great manual options, nice pictures, big screen
- Quite large and bulky
A good camera that does many things very well. It is let down a little by its design and the fact that it costs about the same as many higher resolution models.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
The Cyber-shot DSCS90 is quite a reasonable camera, despite only being 4 megapixels in a category packed with models as high as 8 megapixels. It isn't a camera that shines in any one area, but it is a package that would please many people.
The biggest problem with the camera is its size. It feels a generation or two behind most of the models in this section in terms of construction. It is large, bulky and mostly made of plastic, which made it feel weak and flimsy. At the same time it was just heavy enough to be uncomfortable to carry around.
It does, however, give you manual control of almost everything you could ask for. Shutter speed, aperture, focus, saturation, contrast and sharpness are all adjustable to some degree, which makes the camera feel a lot more advanced than the 4 megapixel CCD would indicate.
It comes with two rechargeable AA batteries. We prefer lithium ion for longer battery life, but some prefer to be able to stockpile batteries and change them on the fly if they are going to be away from power for a long time.
The DSCS90 produced quite reasonable images. They were detailed and the colour was rich, although they did have a tendency to look a little flat. Many of them were comparable in quality with those taken by the 5 megapixel cameras in this category.
The last thing to note about this model is its 2.5" LCD. It is always a more pleasant experience to take photos on a camera with a large screen, and this camera is no exception. We did notice the screen was of lower quality than others we had seen, with a fair amount of ghosting and blurring, but one can only expect so much from a cheap camera.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- FTBranch Practice Manager - SecurityQLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- CCDelphix Technical SpecialistVIC
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC