- Good value, impressive 20X optical zoom lens
- Ordinary still image resolution, substantially larger than some other Sony DVD camcorders
Sony's DCRDVD602E is an easy-to-use, robustly built DVD camcorder that should satisfy anyone wanting to shoot video to view on the home TV.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
The DCRDVD602E is reasonably light, at around 500 grams with battery and DVD disc, and measures 12.7 x 10 x 5cm--thin enough to carry around in a coat pocket.
Conventionally styled, the Sony DCRDVD602E has a solid feel to it and would appeal to schools and families looking for a robust camcorder option, able to handle the rigours of heavy use.
Most of the controls are accessed via a flip-out, 2.5" touch panel screen. It provides access to a simple menu system. Settings such as exposure effects and custom white balance settings can be selected quickly, while a useful replication of the zoom and record/pause buttons on the left-hand side of the LCD panel gives you another option when shooting a scene.
The main selection switch allows you to quickly select whether you want to take a still picture, video or watch what you have recorded. Other buttons include a backlight and display button, as well as an 'easy' button which sets the camera to fully automatic.
Both digital still and video is recorded to the removable DVD media and should be compatible with most home DVD players, after finalising the disc. Both DVD -RW and +RW is supported by the camera, although for write-once media you can only use DVD-R.
The 2.5" LCD screen is bright and clear, even in direct sunlight. When the environment gets too bright, you can choose to use the optical viewfinder.
The DVD602E uses a quality Carl Zeiss lens with 20X optical zoom and produces accurate colour, with good saturation. It can take stills and record them to DVD, but only at a maximum resolution of 640 x 480.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDigital Marketing StrategistVIC
- FTAX Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTBackup Engineer with Commvault ExperienceNSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCSoftware DeveloperWA
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- FTBizTalk Developer X3VIC
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Defence - NV1SA
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 161014/CO/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Test Analyst (Brisbane Based)QLD
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager (Marketing Automation)NSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 161018/P/911Asia
- FTSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- FTLevel 1/2 Service Desk AnalystWA
- CCSharePoint / Office365 DeveloperWA
- CCSystems AdministratorQLD
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- FTScrum MasterNSW