- Fast, sharp detail and luminous quality
- Can't change colour and density adjustment without Sony's PictureGear Studio 2.0 software
This good little dye-sublimation printer allows you to view and arrange pictures on a TV screen and print directly from digital cameras.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Like other dedicated snapshot printers, the Sony DPPEX50 dye-sublimation printer can work without a computer. You can drive it from a PictBridge camera, and it has slots for Memory Stick and CompactFlash cards. Despite the printer's on-board control panel and backlit LCD, most people would want to connect the unit to a television before they attempt to print from a media card.
You connect the supplied composite cable to the TV, which will then display menus for selecting images to print, and for creating calendars, postcards or multiple-image layouts. In addition, you can convert images to sepia-tone or greyscale, clean up red-eye, apply a fish-eye lens effect and more. You don't have to use the TV if you set up a DPOF (digital print order form) job on your camera; DPOF is an industry standard for digital cameras that lets you mark pictures to print directly from a media card.
When the printer is linked to a PC, you'll probably want to use Sony's PictureGear Studio 2.0 software to manage and edit images, because Sony's Windows driver lacks many common image adjustment options. For example, it doesn't offer colour and density adjustment, though it does allow you to print borderless, and to apply red-eye reduction.
The DPPEX50 can print to three sizes of paper: 4" x 6", 3.5" x 5" and 3.5" x 4"; all three work with the same paper cassette. Sony provides no consumables in the box. At the time of writing, a 25-sheet pack of 4" x 6" paper with an ink ribbon cost $17, which translates into about 68 cents per print. For comparison, the Epson PictureMate made 4" x 6" prints for around 29 cents each.
The DPPEX50 printed a 4" x 6" photo from a PC in a snappy 89 seconds--almost twice as fast as the Epson PictureMate. The print showed very sharp detail and the luminous quality we expect from dye-sublimation prints, though it had an almost oversaturated look with a slightly orange tone.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementSA
- CCVBA DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness/Technical Consultant (CPM)QLD
- CCApplications Support Technical OfficerACT
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- CCHuman Sciences Professional - DefenceVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - PIMAsia
- CCArcher ConsultantNSW
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTJunior Java DevelopersACT
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- FTNetwork & Gateway EngineerACT
- CCSitecore DeveloperNSW
- CCDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCMobile Developers (IOS and Android)QLD
- TPTraining ManagerVIC
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Solution Architect (Permanent and/or Contract Option)QLD
- CCSenior IT Project ManagerVIC
- TPJunior Project ManagerSA
- CCSenior Pega DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect- Agile,Infr & Apps, Govt backgroundNSW