- Lacking DVD-RAM support
If you're after a fast DVD writer and don't mind missing out on DVD-RAM support then the DRU-810A might be the perfect choice for you.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Sony has blitzed its DVD-burning competition with the release of the DRU-810A - the fastest dual-layer burner we have tested.
The DRU-810A will replace the similar-looking DRU-800A, which also has a clear front panel. The speed boost comes with the upgrade to 8x DVD+R DL, but DVD-R DL is still only 4x.
Using 2.4x DVD+DL media, the DRU-810A burnt 7.9GB in 15min (8.7MBps), beating its nearest competition, the ASUS DRW-1608P2S by 2min. Again, in the DVD+R tests, the DRU-810A blitzed the field. It burnt a full 4.09GB in 3min, a transfer rate of 22.72MBps, leaving the competition in its wake. The Lite-On 1635S comes the closest to it, but is still lagging two-and-a-half minutes behind. Even the ASUS, currently at number one in our Best Buys charts, was four-and-a-half minutes behind. Transfer speeds to the hard drive were suitably impressive at 15.5MBps, just behind ASUS.
Not only was the burn quality very good, the dual-layer discs worked in most DVD players except an older Pioneer 107 (this is due to the book type setting not defaulting to DVD-ROM).
The one drawback is that the DRU-810A is missing DVD-RAM compatibility, which is a fairly sizeable omission considering what Sony's competitors are offering at up to $50 cheaper.
But, if speed is your primary focus and missing DVD-RAM compatibility is not a problem for you, then the DRU-810A is a great buy.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Hitachi Data Systems introduces HFS A series family
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- WD ships world's first 10TB helium-filled hard drive
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar adds 128GB 2000x SDXC UHS-II card to Professional range
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystACT
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- FTSystems Engineer / Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Superannuation FundVIC
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- FTUX Front-End DeveloperWA
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC
- FTProject Manager | SharePoint, Office 365 SkillsVIC
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- FTImplementation Consultant, Enterprise SoftwareNSW
- CCSecurity Consultant/Analyst (Data Loss Prevention)WA
- FTWeb Analytics Specialist - TechnicalNSW
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Unified Communications Consultant - National IT ServicesNSW
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- FTLead Software Developer- Complex Tax & Superannuation SolutionsNSW
- CCOrganisational Change AnalystQLD
- CCJava DeveloperVIC