- Lacking DVD-RAM support
If you're after a fast DVD writer and don't mind missing out on DVD-RAM support then the DRU-810A might be the perfect choice for you.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Sony has blitzed its DVD-burning competition with the release of the DRU-810A - the fastest dual-layer burner we have tested.
The DRU-810A will replace the similar-looking DRU-800A, which also has a clear front panel. The speed boost comes with the upgrade to 8x DVD+R DL, but DVD-R DL is still only 4x.
Using 2.4x DVD+DL media, the DRU-810A burnt 7.9GB in 15min (8.7MBps), beating its nearest competition, the ASUS DRW-1608P2S by 2min. Again, in the DVD+R tests, the DRU-810A blitzed the field. It burnt a full 4.09GB in 3min, a transfer rate of 22.72MBps, leaving the competition in its wake. The Lite-On 1635S comes the closest to it, but is still lagging two-and-a-half minutes behind. Even the ASUS, currently at number one in our Best Buys charts, was four-and-a-half minutes behind. Transfer speeds to the hard drive were suitably impressive at 15.5MBps, just behind ASUS.
Not only was the burn quality very good, the dual-layer discs worked in most DVD players except an older Pioneer 107 (this is due to the book type setting not defaulting to DVD-ROM).
The one drawback is that the DRU-810A is missing DVD-RAM compatibility, which is a fairly sizeable omission considering what Sony's competitors are offering at up to $50 cheaper.
But, if speed is your primary focus and missing DVD-RAM compatibility is not a problem for you, then the DRU-810A is a great buy.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW