- Lacking DVD-RAM support
If you're after a fast DVD writer and don't mind missing out on DVD-RAM support then the DRU-810A might be the perfect choice for you.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Sony has blitzed its DVD-burning competition with the release of the DRU-810A - the fastest dual-layer burner we have tested.
The DRU-810A will replace the similar-looking DRU-800A, which also has a clear front panel. The speed boost comes with the upgrade to 8x DVD+R DL, but DVD-R DL is still only 4x.
Using 2.4x DVD+DL media, the DRU-810A burnt 7.9GB in 15min (8.7MBps), beating its nearest competition, the ASUS DRW-1608P2S by 2min. Again, in the DVD+R tests, the DRU-810A blitzed the field. It burnt a full 4.09GB in 3min, a transfer rate of 22.72MBps, leaving the competition in its wake. The Lite-On 1635S comes the closest to it, but is still lagging two-and-a-half minutes behind. Even the ASUS, currently at number one in our Best Buys charts, was four-and-a-half minutes behind. Transfer speeds to the hard drive were suitably impressive at 15.5MBps, just behind ASUS.
Not only was the burn quality very good, the dual-layer discs worked in most DVD players except an older Pioneer 107 (this is due to the book type setting not defaulting to DVD-ROM).
The one drawback is that the DRU-810A is missing DVD-RAM compatibility, which is a fairly sizeable omission considering what Sony's competitors are offering at up to $50 cheaper.
But, if speed is your primary focus and missing DVD-RAM compatibility is not a problem for you, then the DRU-810A is a great buy.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Samsung launch their fastest SSDs with up to 5Gbps speeds
- Samsung's 950 Pro SSD marries V-NAND and NVMe for ludicrously fast speeds
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Samsung releases world's first 2TB consumer SSDs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW