- Fantastic sound quality
- Large and bulky kit
If you're after fantastic audio quality at a reasonable price, Sony's HTDDW1000 is a great solution. The price for punchy bass and a wide range of connectors is some heavy boxes, but it's an easy trade-off.
Price$ 1,199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- AKAAF1 Anti-Fog Sheet - FREE Delivery & Price M... 22.00
Sony's impressive WEGA Home Theatre in a Box HTDDW1000 bundle is designed to connect to a DVD player and screen to create an elegant home theatre solution.
This 6.2 channel Home Theatre in a Box weighs in at close to 80kg in total, which makes it some effort to set up. At least the kit ships with all you need to get up and running--including cables, manuals, and radio antenna--and the system sounds fantastic when you're done. The striking silver and black speaker bins would look at home in just about any modern lounge room, and the bulky, 8kg receiver unit sports a stylish silver front panel.
The receiver features two component-in connectors along with one component out, two digital optical inputs and a digital coaxial connection. This is complemented by composite video out, four composite AV inputs, two RCA audio-in and an RCA audio-out connector, along with multi-channel RCA input, speaker and subwoofer outputs. AM and FM antenna connectors are also provided. There is no S-Video connector, but you could always get an adapter if you really needed this option.
The HTDDW1000 kit includes two floor-standing speakers plus six satellite speakers and has two subwoofers to provide a wide expansive sound. The system provides a total of 1000W RMS, which is plenty of punch for listening to music or watching movies. Standard formats including Dolby Pro Logic II and IIx, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Surround EX, and DTS are all fully supported.
The 43 x 16 x 31cm silver receiver unit features a wide array of buttons on the front face along with a screen, but it doesn't feel cluttered. Front-mounted composite AV and headphone connectors are handy for ad-hoc connections, as they save you from messing around behind the unit. In fact, the system is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. The two-tone remote control includes a joystick-style controller that's also straightforward to navigate.
All up, Sony's HTDDW1000 is an excellent mid-range home theatre kit, which offers clear sound, a decent range of connections and a practical interface, all backed up by a three-year warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- LG releases first flat screen OLED TV in Australia
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Netflix inches towards global dominance
- Internet TV set to surge this Christmas
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSecurity Consultant/Analyst (Data Loss Prevention)WA
- FTJava or Ruby Web DeveloperVIC
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerSA
- FTUI DeveloperNSW
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Portfolio Manager - IT ProjectsNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- CCSenior Project Manager, Research Data ProjectNSW
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSAP Business Intelligence SpecialistQLD
- CCProject AdvisorNSW