Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX420 LED TV (preview)
A 720p Sony TV with Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video
- It'll be cheap, Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video at this price is impressive
- It's not 1080p
The Sony BRAVIA EX420 series is a cheap LED TV but it still has Sony's Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video Web services. It only has a 720p screen, however -- surprising when you can buy 1080p screens for peanuts these days.
Sony's EX420 series of BRAVIA LCD TVs don't use 1080p panels — instead, they're 720p and use an edge LED backlight. No Wi-Fi is built in but the EX420 does have an energy-saving Presence Sensor that cuts power to the screen when no-one is in the room.
Like almost all of Sony's other BRAVIA TVs for 2011, the EX420 has Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video, the Web features that will let you stream both linear Internet TV channels and a huge library of video on demand. These features are on the best Sony TVs, the BRAVIA HX820 and BRAVIA HX925, but we didn't expect them in such a budget display as the EX420.
The Sony BRAVIA EX420 will be sold in 32in and 40in sizes. Both the 40in Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX420 and the 32in Sony BRAVIA KDL-32EX420 will go on sale in March.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 2 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 3 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 4 HTC One (M8s) review: Better value for money than HTC's flagship
- 5 ZTE Blade S6 review: A dual-SIM, 4G smartphone for less than $300
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.