Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX420 LED TV (preview)
A 720p Sony TV with Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video
- It'll be cheap, Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video at this price is impressive
- It's not 1080p
The Sony BRAVIA EX420 series is a cheap LED TV but it still has Sony's Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video Web services. It only has a 720p screen, however -- surprising when you can buy 1080p screens for peanuts these days.
Sony's EX420 series of BRAVIA LCD TVs don't use 1080p panels — instead, they're 720p and use an edge LED backlight. No Wi-Fi is built in but the EX420 does have an energy-saving Presence Sensor that cuts power to the screen when no-one is in the room.
Like almost all of Sony's other BRAVIA TVs for 2011, the EX420 has Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video, the Web features that will let you stream both linear Internet TV channels and a huge library of video on demand. These features are on the best Sony TVs, the BRAVIA HX820 and BRAVIA HX925, but we didn't expect them in such a budget display as the EX420.
The Sony BRAVIA EX420 will be sold in 32in and 40in sizes. Both the 40in Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX420 and the 32in Sony BRAVIA KDL-32EX420 will go on sale in March.
Struggling for Christmas presents this year? Check out our Christmas Gift Guide for some top tech suggestions and more.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 HP Stream 11 laptop
- 2 Acer Chromebook 11 (CB3-111)
- 3 Asus Zenbook UX303LN Ultrabook
- 4 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 5 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' release after threats following cyberattack
- Forensic software gets around iCloud security features
- Human error root cause of November Microsoft Azure outage
- Uber envisions a safer ride in 2015
- Obama pushes for net neutrality, opposes data localization in trade pact
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.