Sony BRAVIA KDL-46EX520 LED TV (preview)
Sony's top non-3D TV uses an edge-lit LED panel and can stream video from the Internet
- It's got all the streaming Internet features of the best Sony TVs
- No 3D, no dynamic LED backlighting, Wi-Fi is optional
We think the Sony BRAVIA EX520 will be a popular cheap LED TV. It doesn't have any superfluous 3D features or built-in Wi-Fi, so for anyone just looking for a simple Sony TV it'll hopefully be a good choice. We are impressed by the inclusion of Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video.
The Sony BRAVIA EX520 replaces the BRAVIA EX500 series that was released in early 2010. It's got all the same features and will likely have similar picture quality — it's an edge-lit LED TV using similar technology to last year's model. It doesn't have any motion smoothing (Sony calls this Motionflow), but it still has a Full HD 1080p panel.
The Sony BRAVIA EX520 will have the same Sony Internet TV and BRAVIA Internet Video features as the BRAVIA HX820 and BRAVIA HX925 — Sony's most expensive and best BRAVIA TVs for this year. If you want to connect wirelessly, you will need to purchase a Sony-branded Wi-Fi dongle.
Sony touts an 'energy-saving Presence Sensor' among the BRAVIA EX520's list of features, so we're guessing low power consumption will be a hallmark of this model in the same way it was for the Sony BRAVIA WE5 in 2009.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
- NHK's latest 8K display is large, thin and beautiful
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTechnical Change Manager- Electrical Network EngineeringSA
- FTDigital Delivery and Engagement OfficersVIC
- FTIndustry Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCDevelopment Manager / Engineering Manager - Canberra RoleNSW
- FTSolution Architect - Application IntegrationQLD
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics CRM Developer/ AdministratorWA
- FTWeb and Mobile iOS/Android Developer (Permanent)NSW
- FTSenior Back-end Developer/Database DesignerSA
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- FTPrincipal Product Manager | Cloud | Managed ServicesNSW
- CCSAP CRM Technical LeadACT
- FTJava DevelopersWA
- CCJAVA Developer- XML, SOAP, GIS, Web services, SPRINGNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerWA
- PTService Desk AnalystVIC
- TPNetwork AdministratorWA
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- TPWordpress DeveloperWA
- TPBusiness Objects DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 1/2 Service Desk AnalystQLD
- FTPortal Project ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Specialist (Cerner) - Brisbane BasedNSW
- FTChief Security Officer l CISSP l ISO27001NSW
- FTDesktop Delivery Team LeaderVIC