Sony KLV-MR32 Wega
- Awesome image quality, classy design
- Short warranty, expensive
Sleek design, a top-notch image, and well-constructed menu system makes the Sony WEGA KLV-MR32 a killer LCD TV, but it's let down by a short warranty.
Price$ 7,999.00 (AUD)
Sony's WEGA Theatre series oozes class. The KLV-MR32 32" Wide Designer LCD features a floating glass design, where the silver screen is bordered by a perspex strip that supports a pair of 10W speakers. The attention to detail is top-notch; around the screen itself there are even small cutouts in the perspex border that pick up light from LEDs in the screen. These cutouts light up when the screen is in operation, but there are no cables or LEDs visible. This is very impressive, and it looks a treat. The screen runs in a 16:9 widescreen ratio, at a native resolution of 1280 x 768. The screen is 1080i compatible, but content at this resolution is scaled down to fit.
Unusually, Sony has opted to rely on a receiver unit to get the signal to the TV. The TV itself only features a DVI input, a control input (for interfacing with a receiver) and a power connector. The review model shipped with a MBT-MR2 digital receiver that included a massive range of inputs and outputs (including component, S-Video, composite, a sub-woofer input, and a Memory Stick slot for viewing photos). The receiver also includes an analog PAL tuner.
Setting up the TV was a dream. The menu is well designed and easy to navigate, and tuning was lightning-fast. The remote control fits the hand comfortably and is as well laid-out as the on-screen menu. In use, the screen offers a 170-degree viewing angle, and is clear and bright from just about anywhere in a lounge room. The displayed image is first class, and we didn't need to make many adjustments to fine-tune the picture.
The LCD panel is rated to 60,000 hours life, but the entire unit is let down by a short one-year warranty. At 105 x 64 x 23cm and a dry weight of 27kg, the 32" Sony screen is a whopper and it'll make a big splash in just about any lounge room or meeting place (a wall mount is also available if space is tight). Unfortunately, at $7999 it'll make a big hole in your bank balance.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst / BillingNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperACT
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTSystem Integration EngineerACT
- FTMobility Test AnalystNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCHelpdesk OfficersNSW
- CCSales Support Associate - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance AnalystVIC
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- FTPortfolio Governance ConsultantNSW
- CCDrupal DeveloperWA
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW