- Portability; plays DivX and MP3; very good DVD playback
- Poor internal speaker, smallish screen, no battery
An integrated LCD screen and DVD player, the Sony DVD Station is a cool little appliance, ready for you to watch movies when you're on the road.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Sony DVD Station is a cool fusion product, a combination LCD TV screen, DVD player, FM radio tuner and CD music player, all packaged in a portable box roughly the size of a PlayStation. It also comes with a carry bag, ready for portage.
A 16:9, 6.5" screen--about the size of one you'd find in an airplane--folds up out of the base of the DVD station, and can also be used flat if you want to mount the DVD Station to the back of a car seat, for instance. The screen is a little on the grainy side, but still not bad. It's certainly bright enough. Underneath the part of the box the screen flips up out of there is a DVD drive with pop-up top. You can put a music CD, DVD movie, MP3 CD or DivX CD or DVD in here. At the rear of the box you find the speakers and stereo RCA input/output and headphone ports, and at the side a port for the FM antenna cable.
What the DVD Station doesn't have is a battery--although it's portable, you still have to plug it in somewhere. It comes with a car cigarette lighter adapter as well as mains power lead. It also lacks a TV tuner, so you can't watch television on it unless you plug something that does have a TV tuner (like a VCR) into the RCA input ports (in this case the LCD screen becomes your TV screen). In addition, if you want to plug the DVD Station into a larger TV screen rather than use the integral screen, you can, using the composite output cables.
We'd recommend using headphones with the DVD Station in any case--the rear speaker is decidedly tinny sounding, producing audio that has the kind of bass and timbre that you'd expect from your average clock radio.
One particularly neat feature is the support for DivX video (and XviD, it turns out). If you want to rip your DVDs to DivX, or play downloaded clips on the DVD Station, you can. We tested a set of XviD movies burnt onto a DVD-R and it worked perfectly. MP3s burnt to CD worked equally well.
Watching movies on the small integrated LCD screen was very reminiscent of watching in-flight movies on the back of the seat in front of you. It's not the most compelling experience, but at least with the DVD Station you have a choice of what's showing. You can also listen to FM radio if you so choose. Plugged into a TV set, it works perfectly well as a DVD player, although the compact remote may not be much to your liking.
Given it includes a screen and DivX-supporting DVD player, the current asking price for the DVD station is not unreasonable, and it's got real wow factor.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSystem Integration EngineerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HP-UX/Oracle RDBMS) 160720/SA/113Asia
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCChange Portfolio ManagerNSW
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCProduction Manager / Digital ProducerNSW
- CC.Net Developer Application DesignerACT
- CCInformation Management Project Manager (SAP BI)NSW
- CCExcel Modelling specialist/consultant.VIC
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCPerformance Test Lead- Load runner, SAP , Citrix ,HPQC ,QTPNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Technology Platform ManagerVIC
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC