The first Patapon was an infectiously addictive title that perfectly combined rhythm and strategy gaming
- Amazing visuals, tons of content, same great Patapon gameplay
- Somewhat limited multiplayer modes, the game definitely needs more songs!
There's no doubt that Patapon 2 is as graphically stylish and addictive as the first game. It retains the core gameplay that you love while adding a ton of new features and concepts. Get it and you'll soon find yourself humming the various Pon songs as you go about your daily business. Just know you're not the only one.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The first Patapon was an infectiously addictive title that perfectly combined rhythm and strategy gaming into one sweet package. Now, the sequel is here and it has me chanting with joy all over again. With more content and gameplay, it's a must-have title for PSP owners.
A Fever You Can't Sweat
The first Patapon concluded with the lovable Pons sailing away into distance, victorious and free. The sequel finds the Pons shipwrecked on a strange new land after a heated battle with a sea creature; unfortunately for our plucky little heroes, this land is also inhabited by the masked beings known as the Karmen. You take on the role of the Pon leader who must deal with the antagonistic villains while figuring out a way to resume your journey towards Earthend.
If you loved the original then get ready because Patapon 2 offers a whopping 80 missions as well as an array of mini-games. The main mode retains the feel of the original, with you marching your Pons across the playing field using various drum beats. Each action, whether it's advancing your troops or attacking an enemy, has a different pattern that you have to beat out on your drums. The mini-games, which are incredibly fun and cute, are a welcome diversion but they also reward you with supplies and upgrades that will help you progress through main levels.
Patapon 2 also features the new Evolution Map which allows you to take an average Pon and upgrade him to be even more effective on the battlefield. You can evolve your Pons to be resistant to cold weather or grow them into extra large brutes. Special "memories" are also available to unlock advanced Pons such as the horse riding Kibapon and the freakishly large armed Robopons. The advanced Patapons get their own slot in the Legendary Memory menu and can be upgraded from there. Your Hero Pon can also be evolved into any type of Patapon including unlocked advanced Pons by switching out masks via the battle preparation menu.
There are also three multiplayer modes included as well. The first mode tasks you with escorting an egg to safety in a race against the clock and your fellow competitors. The second mode is similar except instead of escorting eggs you must seek them out. Lastly, we have the third mode which focuses solely on a rhythm production in order to woo the magical egg into opening.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCData AnalystACT
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - Cloud computingAsia
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW