Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 8.0
- Good range of options.
- Not easy to learn without tutorials.
Thank heavens for the tutorial system, as Audio Studio is a tough program to get into, especially if you’re one of the comparative novices at which it’s aimed. But persevere and you’ll see that this program has a strong feature set for the money.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Aimed at those who would like to edit the audio tracks of home movies, or polish demos of bands without a major-label budget, Sony has put together Audio Studio, a cut-down version of its more extensive Sony Sound Forge 8.0 program.
Audio Studio incorporates a tutorial system to guide you through the intimidating array of features. In essence, the software allows you to import audio, edit it and then export it to a variety of formats. The options at each stage, however, are considerable.
If you're feeling spontaneous, you can plug a microphone or instrument directly into your PC and create audio right away. Alternatively, you can open an existing file, create simple synthesised tunes, download material from a pay site or rip from a CD -- but you must consider copyright restrictions.
Working from a CD is probably the hardest way to approach things, because the complexity of multilayered recordings makes it tricky to follow the shape of the music, as is apparent in the screenshot above.
Once you have the audio displayed in the window as a waveform, you can chop it up and reassemble the pieces to your heart's content. Or add effects, from wah-wah to distortion, and synchronise with video. These can be tricky at first, but you should find the system reasonably intuitive after a while.
Finishing options include exporting to MP3, WMA, QuickTime or RealMedia formats, creating a podcast or burning a CD using the built-in facilities.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCCompliance Officer - ProcurementVIC
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCSAP HCM / HR -Sr. Business AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Coordinator (Paying $400-$450 per day)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT