This Sony iPod dock works with both the iPhone and iPhone 3G.
- Design, full iPod control integration, remote control, reasonable sound quality
- No outstanding features, no EQ or sound adjustment settings, distortion at higher volume levels
Sony's SRS-GU10iP is a competent but not outstanding iPod dock. We love the fact that it can control the iPod interface via the remote, but for this price we expected a few more features.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
The Sony SRS-GU10IP is a standalone speaker system designed for the Apple iPod and iPhone. Despite boasting a stylish design and producing reasonable sound, the Sony SRS-GU10iP offers no particularly enticing features given its relatively steep asking price.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP is fairly basic in both its design and features. The dock certainly looks the part, combining a gloss black and piano-black finish in a long, rectangular speaker. The speaker sits on a curved stand that doubles as the iPod dock. Alongside the dock are the controls: a power button, input selection and volume control. With no display on the unit, a few small LEDs denote power, input, bass boost and mute. The last two functions are only accessible via the included remote control.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP is compatible with all Apple iPods that utilise the standard dock connection, so it will work with every model except the iPod shuffle. The unit will also charge a docked iPod. Sony has ensured the iPhone and iPhone 3G are fully compatible. If you don’t own an iPod, the SRS-GU10iP might still appeal to you: an auxiliary input at the rear of the unit means any device that utilises a standard 3.5mm headphone jack can be connected. Unfortunately, there’s no line-in cable included in the box.
Sound quality is reasonably impressive for a unit this size, though it did leave a little to be desired at high volume levels. The Sony SRS-GU10iP produces enough sound to fill a small or medium room, but it tends to distort at any volume level above 75 per cent. If you're looking for an iPod dock to play tunes at a constant high volume then this probably isn't the unit for you.
The Sony SRS-GU10iP doesn’t sound very engaging and definitely won't impress audiophiles. The sound is balanced, though, and bass response is rich but not overpowering. We weren't impressed with the bass boost function — we found it merely increased distortion and tended to overpower underlying elements in most music. Mid-range is acceptable, with most individual notes easily distinguished, though they aren't always accurate. The lack of basic equaliser or bass/treble options on the SRS-GU10iP is disappointing, but you can use your iPod's built-in EQ settings.
Perhaps the best feature is the fact that you can control your iPod and iPhone using the SRS-GU10iP's remote control. You can browse through menus, skip tracks, play/pause your music, and enable shuffle and repeat modes. Using these functions is fairly straightforward.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FT.Net Developer - work on cutting edge BAU projectsVIC
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMACT
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTIT Test ManagerNSW
- CCCitrix SpecialistVIC
- FTWintel EngineerNSW
- FTSenior / Lead iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTGraduate Technical ConsultantACT
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- FTSenior ICT Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager - DigitalisationQLD
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- CCSenior Linux AdministratorNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Qld Health - Short term contractQLD
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTSenior PHP Developer / ArchitectQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer FIFO WeipaQLD
- FTBusiness Development ManagerACT
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC