Sony VAIO Y Series (VPCYB16KG) laptop (Preview)
Sony VAIO Y Series (VPCYB16KG) preview: An 11.6in ultraportable laptop based on the AMD Fusion E-350 APU
- Stylish, lightweight, HDMI, good graphics performance
- High price
The 11.6in Sony VAIO Y Series (VPCYB16KG) is based on the AMD Fusion E-350 APU, which runs at 1.6GHz and has two cores. It's a stylish laptop with a light weight that's perfect for travellers and any users who require plenty of mobility.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
Sony's 11.6in VAIO Y Series (VPCYB16KG) laptop is an ultraportable model based on AMD's Fusion E-350 APU (accelerated processing unit). This APU has two CPU cores, runs at 1.6GHz and it also has an integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics processor. As far as small laptops go, it packs plenty of power under the hood and it's suitable not just for browsing the Web, but also for viewing and editing photos, and viewing HD video.
Read our review of the Intel Core i3-based Sony VAIO Y Series (VPCYA15FGB).
At around 1.4kg, the VAIO Y Series is light and easy to cart to and from the office or the classroom and it also looks great. It's available in three colours, none of which are black or white. Instead, you can select from green, pink or silver. The keyboard on the VAIO Y Series has isolated keys that feel good to press and the touchpad is responsive and supports multi-touch gestures.
Around the edges of the VAIO Y Series you'll find the standard audio, USB and memory card features, but the stand-out feature for this small laptop is the inclusion of HDMI. You can easily sit the VAIO Y Series next to your big-screen TV and hook it up to watch streaming online videos, for example.
While we haven't yet performance tested the VAIO Y Series laptop, we expect it will be faster than the fastest netbook computer we've seen to date, Acer's Aspire One Happy, which uses a dual-core Intel Atom CPU. In the graphics department, we expect the VAIO Y Series to dominate. The Toshiba NB550D is the first of the AMD Fusion ultraportable laptops that we've seen, and it recorded a high score of 1882 in 3DMark06. As the Sony VAIO Y Series has a slightly more powerful graphics component (an AMD Radeon HD 6310 compared to an AMD Radeon HD 6250) and a faster CPU speed (1.6GHz compared to 1GHz), we expect it to score even higher in this benchmark.
The bottom line is, the Sony VAIO Y Series (VPCYA15FGB) looks to be a very solid little ultraportable laptop that will knock the socks off netbooks and other entry-level small laptops. While its price seems a little high, you have to remember that it runs Windows 7 Home Premium instead of Windows Starter. You are also getting something that looks and feels better than most of the other small laptops on the market. We look forward to giving a thorough review soon.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCSQL Database Administrator - DBANSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCStrategic Planning OfficerACT
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCSenior Network Engineer - Voice And DataVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160818/P/265Asia
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC