Sony Vegas 5
Still the musician's NLE with plenty of new features, though probably not enough to challenge the market leaders
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Sonic Foundry's Vegas non-linear editor (NLE) now carries Sony's livery as well as a new version number. It's still a software-only NLE, so you'll need a powerful host system to see it at its best.
Existing users will be happy with the familiar front end - which now includes dockable, customisable windows like Premiere Pro - although some of the unusual workflow conventions may confuse anyone migrating from a competing product. Vegas's strongest point has always been its audio feature set, and this is still the case, there being MIDI support, quantisation and metronome tools, plus rulers that can be set to beats and measures rather than time and frames. Be aware, however, that the 5.1 Surround Pack with AC-3 encoding is still an expensive ($US289, download only) added extra, though the Vegas + DVD bundle includes DVD Architect with AC-3 encoding for $1249.
As you'd expect, Vegas 5 maintains an impressive slew of keyframeable effects, filters and transitions, with advanced colour controls, unlimited video/audio tracks and powerful software-based previews. New features include SWF import, stackable effects that can be saved for instant recall, velocity (playback speed) envelopes including render-free video reversal, network rendering clients, and sub-clip creation from longer media. You'll also find a sample collection of background clips, plus a copy of the ScreenBlast ACID sequencer in the box.
Overall, Vegas 5 isn't going to drag Liquid Edition, Premiere Pro or Xpress DV users away from their existing setups, but it should continue to find favour as the music producer's NLE of choice.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Former NBN CEO joins Tony Windsor on campaign trail
- Pirate website blocking: Court to wrestle with definition of ‘online location’
- Not too late to change NBN’s direction, NBN Co’s first CEO says
- Zapier's automation tools integrate with Excel to make spreadsheets less tedious
- Australian broadband speeds set to lag world by 2020
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCIT Technical Writer- understanding in RDMBS,Web server, StorageNSW
- CCProgram Test ManagerNSW
- CCSAP Financial Master DataACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160620/AP/623Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (System Backup Operation/UNIX) 160615/AP/791Asia
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- CCProject Master SchedulerVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Content ProducerVIC
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- FTTechnical Support - ImplementationsVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia