Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD 7 (Platinum Edition)
- HD friendly, huge array of effects and transitions, very easy to use.
- Training video is for uber-novices only.
This is a feature-rich and user-friendly package that should suit amateurs and semi-professionals alike.
Price$ 239.00 (AUD)
When it comes to producing professional looking videos, the editing process is arguably more important than remembering to take the lens cap off your camera. Whether you dream of winning fame and fortune at Tropfest, or just want your friends to stay awake for your holiday videos, the quality of the final cut can make all the difference.
Now up to its seventh iteration, Sony's highly lauded Vegas Movie Studio will ensure your digital creations match the unmolested vision in your head. With support for both DV and HDV cameras, the inclusion of DVD Architect Studio 4, and more effects than you can shake a stick at, this is one impressive piece of software that is admirably easy to use.
Despite being a stripped down version of the professional Vegas package, Movie Studio provides more tools and options than the majority of users will ever need. Over 500 video effects and transitions are included, allowing you to make your movies as stylised or avant-garde as you like. The audio options are also quite extensive, including support for Dolby 5.1 surround sound and custom soundtrack creation.
Sticking to the by-now standard tri-pane interface, everything is clearly laid out and highly intuitive. Once your footage is captured, editing is a simple matter of selecting a clip and dragging it onto the editing timeline, where effects, titles and transitions can be applied with ease. The menus are particularly helpful and the entire process quickly becomes second nature. One great feature is the ability to automatically convert 4:3 screen ratios to 16:9 (widescreen) and vice-versa; ensuring your mixed footage will match regardless of what ratio it was shot in.
Even those who have never used a video-editing program before will find themselves in good hands -- there are over 30 interactive tutorials to follow, covering everything from colour correction to DVD burning. For the truly camera shy, a bonus training video has also been included, featuring a friendly videographer with a mullet who runs you through the baby steps. (He even offers tips on using cameras and tripods to ensure your footage is actually worth cutting together.)
As with most editing programs, you can spread the interface over two monitors; a useful option for those who want to take advantage of full-screen previews. Incidentally, the default preview window will still give you a pretty good view of the action, even on medium sized monitors.
DVD authoring is where Sony Vegas Movie Studio truly comes into its own though. As already mentioned, Sony has bundled DVD Architect Studio 4 in with the package, which combines functionality with ease of use and is almost worthy of a review on its own. While it's more powerful and complex than some of its rivals, basic tasks are still quite simple to achieve. A series of easy-to-follow steps will have your movie burnt to DVD, VCD or CD in no time -- you can even export directly to a Sony PSP, or reformat files for use on your iPod.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- CCTechnical Team LeadSA
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- TPBI Commercial AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC