Sony Walkman E-Series (NWZ-E443) MP3 player
This Sony MP3 player is not as polished as the iPod Nano, but it's cheaper
- Cheaper than an iPod Nano, great sound quality
- Not as well designed as the iPod Nano, low screen resolution
The Sony NWZ-E443 has a very similar feature-set to the Apple iPod Nano, and it's almost the same size. We prefer the Nano's design, but the NWZ-E443 is slightly cheaper.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- FREE SHIPPING: Sony Walkman NWZ-E383 4GB MP3 Pl... 85.00
The Sony NWZ-E443 is a 4GB MP3 player that can display photos and videos on its 2in LCD screen. Other models in the Sony Walkman E-Series range have 8GB and 16GB storage capacities. The E-Series directly competes with Apple's iPod Nano.
The Sony NWZ-E443 mimics the iPod Nano in many ways, with the same form factor, same headphone jack placement and a similar control scheme. The Sony player is slightly fatter and shorter, and its plastic body isn't as pleasing to touch as the Nano's aluminium one.
The main point of difference is Sony's interface. The iPod uses a scrolling menu, while the NWZ-E443 employs the same grid layout as the X-Series and has a five-way control pad. It's not as refined as Apple's interface but it won't take long to adjust to. The experience is let down by a low resolution screen (240x320 pixels) that lacks the detail and vibrancy of the iPod Nano's.
We like the ability to just drag and drop files onto Sony NWZ-E443 when it's connected to a computer — no annoying or bloated software is required. We prefer this to the Apple iPod system using iTunes, and we're thankful that Sony has done away with the need to use the horrid SonicStage software that came with older MP3 players.
The Sony NWZ-E443 can play MP3, WMA and AAC audio files. We found the sound quality from the NWZ-E443's internal amplifier to be on par, if not slightly better than audio from the iPod Nano. An extensive equaliser allows minute adjustment of frequency weightings. The Sony NWZ-E443's video playback is more of a gimmick than a useful feature. MP4, H.264 and WMV files are supported but the low resolution screen makes watching most videos an exercise in tedium.
It's a close call between the Sony Walkman E-Series players and the Apple iPod Nano. If you're on a budget you can pick up the 4GB E-Series model, while the Apple iPod Nano is only available in 8GB and 16GB capacities. Even when it comes to the companies' 8GB models, Sony's is $30 cheaper, although it lacks the Nano's video recording. We'd happily use either for day-to-day music listening but as an MP3 player the Sony is slightly better value.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW