Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ digital clock radio
Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ digital radio: An alarm clock that lets you wake up to digital radio
- Good audio, easy to use
- Navigation buttons are awkwardly positioned, price is a bit steep
The Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ digital clock radio doesn't offer great bang for your buck, but it has good audio given its size. Its unobtrusive design makes it a good choice for someone with limited space.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ is a bedside digital clock radio with good audio quality given its petite size and lack of stereo sound. It's considerably smaller than the $199 Sony XDR-S16DBP DAB+ digital radio, though not much cheaper at $149. We think that considering the XDR-C706DBP's feature-set, its price seems a tad steep.
Measuring 192.5x92.6x87.7mm, the Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ digital radio won't take up much room wherever you decide to put it — it's perfect for a bedside table, the office or your kitchen counter. The left half of the front panel features a blue-on-black LCD screen that shows the time; its brightness can be adjusted. On the right side of the front panel sits the 6cm, 0.4 Watt mono speaker. The rear of the Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ clock radio has a glossy white finish, while the top panel houses the navigational controls.
The navigational controls are simple to use, although the angle of the panel they sit on means that you won't be able to see them if you're trying to use the radio while lying in bed.
The Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ clock radio offers digital and FM radio reception and up to four alarms can be programmed — you can choose from FM, digital radio or an irritating beep as your preferred mode of wake-up call. Unfortunately, the radio doesn't have an auxiliary input port for plugging in an MP3 player, nor does it have a headphone jack. It also doesn't have a USB port for upgrading its firmware, but this isn't much of a drawback.
Taking into consideration that the Sony XDR-C706DBP DAB+ has a single speaker, it handles audio quite well. In our tests, we found the audio to be crisp and clear, albeit slightly tinny — but this is unavoidable, given the sole speaker has to handle all frequencies on its own. When the volume was at its maximum setting of 30, there was little to no distortion in the audio quality and it could easily fill a room with music. As a bedside alarm clock radio it ought to do the trick, but don't expect the XDR-C706DBP to be anything more than that. It can store up to 20 radio station presets: 10 for FM stations and 10 for digital stations.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCSAP IS Retail Functional LeadVIC
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160915/SSA/893Asia
- CCSoftware Delivery ManagerACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW