Sony Computer Entertainment Patapon
- Team mates have quirky characteristics, minimalist control scheme and captivating essence
- If you're rhythmically challenged you may find this hard to play!
Patapon is based on controlling your team of warriors through rhythm. It's a strange and unusual game, but lots of fun to play.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
A funky visual vibe mashed up with a unique, rhythm based control scheme equals a bona fide hit for the PSP. From the creators of the happy-go-lucky Locoroco comes another charming title, Patapon!
LocoRoco's bright and sunny outlook hit the PSP like a ton of Nerf bricks, and drilled home the point that you don't have to be constantly mashing buttons to have fun. The creators have since moved on from what's been called the world's happiest game and developed Patapon, a unique and charming game that takes its minimalist control scheme and captivating essence in a much more combative direction.
The Patapons are a tribe of two-dimensional warriors on their way to Earthend, but all manner of enemies and obstacles lie between them and their goal, and only their deity that would be you can lead them to their destiny. The basic setup might seem broad and familiar, but the execution of it is anything but, and your first clue to Patapon's unique nature is its eye-catching art direction. The three spear-throwers you start with are just hollow circles on legs, with a single inky dot for an eye rolling around the interior, and yet they're filled with personality, from the way they twirl their weapons in the air to the fierce expressions they don when they enter combat.
The word "idiosyncratic" doesn't begin to cover it. From the ever-changing palette of the landscapes you'll traverse to battles with fire-breathing bosses and rival Zigoton forces, Patapon bursts with shadow puppetry theatrics and visual charm. Screenshots can give you a good feeling for the character designs and scenery, but to see the whole affair in motion is a minor revelation, like a child prodigy's drawing come to life, brimming with imagination. This display of inspired aesthetics might not do much to tax the hardware, but no other game looks anything like it.
Human Beat Box
Mind you, you don't so much command these quirky abstract misfits as guide them. Your control over this crew is strictly indirect, relying entirely on their shared love of diverse music. Rather than fiddle with the directional pad or analogue nub to manoeuvre them around, or issue orders to individual soldiers like a traditional real-time strategy general, you rally your entire crew by drumming out four-beat tattoos on the drums you acquire over the first few hours, and listen to their enthusiastic performance while mulling over your next move. Each drum makes a unique sound pon, pata, chaka, and don and you string them together into short songs that tell the troops to attack, defend, march, and so on.
Though the tempo is forever constant, the music becomes more and more elaborate as your forces get into the groove, simultaneously helping you with staccato chants and hindering you with off-beat embellishments and free-form vocal breaks. How well you stay on the beat determines the quality of sound you get from each drum hit, which in turn influences the strength of your squad's actions. Scoring successive combos can mean the difference between your troops tossing out a handful of ineffectual arrows versus a powerful shower of pointy death.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW