Socom: Special Forces
Socom: Special Forces review: Socom 4 (Socom: US Navy SEALs in some regions) is a tactical shooter
- Effective use of command system to guide different squads.
- Stealth missions are quite satisfying.
- Move compatibility is fun but I wouldn't trade it for a controller experience.
It's not exactly a ground-breaking game but Socom: Special Forces stands out compared to some linear third-person shooters with its unique squad command mechanics.
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
You can sneak up and slit the throats of your opponents, shoot them in the head at a distance (complete with satisfying head crunch sound effects) or create a diversion by throwing a bullet shell. Just make sure you stash dead bodies in the shadows to avoid raising the alarm.
Sony has been heavily spruiking the game's PlayStation Move compatibility. Call me a traditionalist but while the game works well with the Move Sharp Shooter attachment, I still prefer the controller. Excluding rail shooters such as House of the Dead: Overkill, motion control shooter games don't really thrill me. That said, Socom has boosted my confidence in the Move slightly.
While playing shooter games sometime it is easy to slip into a gun rut. That is, you continuously use the same weapons because you are familiar with them. Counter-Strike players may be familiar with this. Terrorist love their AK-47s while the Counter-Terrorist faction have a penchant for the M4 rifle.
Socom uses a weapons experience system. When a gun is picked up and used to the end of a mission, it is added to your arsenal and can be selected to begin a mission with as well as assigned to your squad. The more you use the gun, the more experience points you gain, the better you are with the weapon. Missions may require you to use a specific type of gun so it is worth sharing some love around.
Socom 4 supports 32 people online multiplayer and there are four different modes you can toy with. Suppression, which is basically team deathmatch, Bomb Squad, Uplink (AKA capture the flag) and Last Defence.
Bomb Squad is particularly fun since you either kill or protect a bomb technician.
The maps are vast and well-designed, providing variety and plenty of places to use the new cover system.
While not exactly on par with games in the Call of Duty series, Socom 4 shouldn't be overlooked. Tactics-based combat provides a refreshing break from the good old-fashioned, fast-paced Rambo-style action shooters and it is worth giving the game a go with the PlayStation Move controller.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Agents of Mayhem hands-on: Saints Row meets SHIELD
- 60 turns with Civilization VI: 3 key tweaks will change how you conquer the world
- Sea of Thieves is Rare's grog-drinking, accordion-playing, pirate silliness simulator
- Shadow Warrior 2 hands-on: Lo Wang gets even more wild with fast, furious 4-way action
- Xbox One keyboard and mouse support teased as PCs and consoles draw closer together
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - Toolset ReadinessNSW
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- FTJunior Web DeveloperSA
- CCUser Experience AnalystACT
- CCTechnical BA - Networking/Infrastructure - Site RelocationNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTTableau BI DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCTibco DeveloperWA
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCScrum MasterNSW
- FTAutomation Test Engineer | C#/.Net focusNSW
- CCMiddleware Developer - BaselineACT
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia
- CCIntegration ArchitectNSW
- CCTechnologyOne System Administration and DevelopmentACT
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCSharepoint Developer | Air Force project | NV1 clearanceNSW