Socom: Special Forces
Socom: Special Forces review: Socom 4 (Socom: US Navy SEALs in some regions) is a tactical shooter
- Effective use of command system to guide different squads.
- Stealth missions are quite satisfying.
- Move compatibility is fun but I wouldn't trade it for a controller experience.
It's not exactly a ground-breaking game but Socom: Special Forces stands out compared to some linear third-person shooters with its unique squad command mechanics.
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
You can sneak up and slit the throats of your opponents, shoot them in the head at a distance (complete with satisfying head crunch sound effects) or create a diversion by throwing a bullet shell. Just make sure you stash dead bodies in the shadows to avoid raising the alarm.
Sony has been heavily spruiking the game's PlayStation Move compatibility. Call me a traditionalist but while the game works well with the Move Sharp Shooter attachment, I still prefer the controller. Excluding rail shooters such as House of the Dead: Overkill, motion control shooter games don't really thrill me. That said, Socom has boosted my confidence in the Move slightly.
While playing shooter games sometime it is easy to slip into a gun rut. That is, you continuously use the same weapons because you are familiar with them. Counter-Strike players may be familiar with this. Terrorist love their AK-47s while the Counter-Terrorist faction have a penchant for the M4 rifle.
Socom uses a weapons experience system. When a gun is picked up and used to the end of a mission, it is added to your arsenal and can be selected to begin a mission with as well as assigned to your squad. The more you use the gun, the more experience points you gain, the better you are with the weapon. Missions may require you to use a specific type of gun so it is worth sharing some love around.
Socom 4 supports 32 people online multiplayer and there are four different modes you can toy with. Suppression, which is basically team deathmatch, Bomb Squad, Uplink (AKA capture the flag) and Last Defence.
Bomb Squad is particularly fun since you either kill or protect a bomb technician.
The maps are vast and well-designed, providing variety and plenty of places to use the new cover system.
While not exactly on par with games in the Call of Duty series, Socom 4 shouldn't be overlooked. Tactics-based combat provides a refreshing break from the good old-fashioned, fast-paced Rambo-style action shooters and it is worth giving the game a go with the PlayStation Move controller.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCABAP DeveloperVIC
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst - GeneralVIC
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/JBoss/SQL) 160831/AP/994Asia
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- FTBid Manager - Intelligent TechnologyVIC
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW