Sony Ericsson Cedar mobile phone
Sony Ericsson Cedar review: An entry-level mobile phone with green credentials
- Manufactured from recyclable materials, 3G connectivity, Facebook and Twitter widgets
- Display has poor viewing angles, curves make it difficult to grasp
For $79, the Sony Ericsson Cedar mobile phone does a fine job; provided you aren't too interested in mobile Web access.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's Cedar is an entry-level 3G mobile phone with green credentials. Manufactured from recyclable materials, shipping without a physical user guide and featuring a charger that minimises power consumption, the Cedar is part of Sony Ericsson's 'GreenHeart' range.
Check out other top Sony Ericsson phones.
The Sony Ericsson Cedar mobile phone looks like a blast from the past; it has a comfortable and tactile numeric keypad and a small, non-touchscreen display, and it is housed in a compact body with soft curves. The phone is both compact and lightweight, and is made from at least 50 per cent recycled plastic.
The Sony Ericsson Cedar's controls are well designed and provide good tactility, while the screen is sharp and clear. The display's viewing angles are poor however, and it is difficult to see the screen in direct sunlight.
Sony Ericsson's choice of packaging continues the green theme: the Cedar's retail box is tiny and made from recycled cardboard, there is no paper user manual included, and both the important information guide and FCC statement are printed on recycled paper. The Sony Ericsson Cedar also ships with a charger that only consumes 0.3Kw per hour when left plugged into a power point without the phone connected.
Once you get past the Cedar's green credentials, this is a very basic mobile phone. Its best feature is 3G connectivity; combined with the included Facebook, Twitter and YouTube apps, the Cedar makes a decent fist of social networking. The Facebook home screen widget is particularly good, allowing you to update your status straight from the home screen. Though useable, the Sony Ericsson Cedar's browser takes an age to load pages and the small screen makes for an overall poor mobile Web experience.
The Sony Ericsson Cedar has an intuitive media menu, a basic 2-megapixel camera, an FM radio, and a microSD card slot for extra storage. The Cedar also comes with two, preinstalled green-centric Java apps — GreenCalculator and EcoMate. GreenCalculator calculates greenhouse emissions caused by your daily lifestyle, while EcoMate aims to educate users on issues like conserving water and power.
The Sony Ericsson Cedar is available in Australia through Telstra prepaid for $79.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Support (Contract Renewable)Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- FTBiztalk DesignerNSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCChange / Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer - Linux with NV1 clearanceVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCCompliance Officer - ProcurementVIC
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW