Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 Bluetooth headphones
If you're looking for tiny stereo Bluetooth headphones--and you’re willing to pay the price for them--this ultradainty pair is just the ticket
- Compact and very light, solid music and call quality
- Very expensive, unit lacks volume controls and track skipping
If you're willing to sacrifice some phone and music controls for an ultrasmall headset with dependable audio quality--and the hefty price tag is no barrier--the Sony Ericsson package has got the goods.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
The main attraction of the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 headphones is their teensy size. Weighing less than half an ounce, the headphones sport an earbud-style design with a slender strand of cable connecting the two buds. Such luxury and convenience don't come cheap, though.
Sony Ericsson provides three sets of different-size earbuds in the package, though the even smallest pair were still a smidgen too large for my small ears. Nonetheless, I was able to get a reasonably good seal, and the overall fit seemed comfortable, secure, and discreet. The headphones stayed snug as I walked (and then ran) around.
In general, the headphones delivered great-sounding tracks, with crisp vocals, warm (but not overwhelming) bass, and clear reproduction of background instruments--such as a tambourine's jangles. I found, however, that dance music, like acid jazz, tended to come across as a mishmash rather than distinct tones.
Phone call quality was mostly good. People could tell I was speaking on a headset, but voices were clear at both ends. Call recipients occasionally heard a crackling sound in the background; they told me that--though my chatter blocked background noise somewhat--when I stopped talking, the loud din became quite noticeable.
The inline control unit actually dangles down from the left side of the headset. This unit houses the microphone and the action button--the headset's only control. I found it a bit annoying, as it often got tangled up in my hair, but surprisingly it didn't bob around much. You use it to turn the headset on and off; to initiate, accept/reject, and end a call; and to play or pause tunes. The HBH-IS800 doesn't let you adjust the volume or skip forward or backward through tracks. I missed that.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- A new AMD licensing deal could create more x86 rivals for Intel
- Two Sony Xperia Z3 phones now support Android N preview
- Samsung shows off 'pink gold' Galaxy S7, S7 Edge
- Microsoft might be eyeing a Surface phone with a trackpoint/fingerprint reader
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- FTSoftware Design Engineer (Embedded Software)SA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/Unix) 160509/AP/395Asia
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect / Data ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCPMO Coordinator- Prince2, Project financialsNSW
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Data ManagementNSW
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC