Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 Bluetooth headphones
If you're looking for tiny stereo Bluetooth headphones--and you’re willing to pay the price for them--this ultradainty pair is just the ticket
- Compact and very light, solid music and call quality
- Very expensive, unit lacks volume controls and track skipping
If you're willing to sacrifice some phone and music controls for an ultrasmall headset with dependable audio quality--and the hefty price tag is no barrier--the Sony Ericsson package has got the goods.
Price$ 289.00 (AUD)
The main attraction of the Sony Ericsson HBH-IS800 headphones is their teensy size. Weighing less than half an ounce, the headphones sport an earbud-style design with a slender strand of cable connecting the two buds. Such luxury and convenience don't come cheap, though.
Sony Ericsson provides three sets of different-size earbuds in the package, though the even smallest pair were still a smidgen too large for my small ears. Nonetheless, I was able to get a reasonably good seal, and the overall fit seemed comfortable, secure, and discreet. The headphones stayed snug as I walked (and then ran) around.
In general, the headphones delivered great-sounding tracks, with crisp vocals, warm (but not overwhelming) bass, and clear reproduction of background instruments--such as a tambourine's jangles. I found, however, that dance music, like acid jazz, tended to come across as a mishmash rather than distinct tones.
Phone call quality was mostly good. People could tell I was speaking on a headset, but voices were clear at both ends. Call recipients occasionally heard a crackling sound in the background; they told me that--though my chatter blocked background noise somewhat--when I stopped talking, the loud din became quite noticeable.
The inline control unit actually dangles down from the left side of the headset. This unit houses the microphone and the action button--the headset's only control. I found it a bit annoying, as it often got tangled up in my hair, but surprisingly it didn't bob around much. You use it to turn the headset on and off; to initiate, accept/reject, and end a call; and to play or pause tunes. The HBH-IS800 doesn't let you adjust the volume or skip forward or backward through tracks. I missed that.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/JBoss/SQL) 160831/AP/994Asia
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia