Sony Ericsson HBH-PV710
- Decent sound quality, simple to use, good battery life
- Wearing for long periods becomes uncomfortable, less effective with background noise, isn't visually appealing
The HBH-PV710 is an average, but not outstanding Bluetooth headset.
Price$ 88.00 (AUD)
Despite being a little larger than many current Bluetooth headsets, the Sony Ericsson HBH-PV710 offers decent sound quality and is simple to use. Requiring just three small buttons to operate, the stylish HBH-PV710 also features coloured, interchangeable face plates, but wearing it for long periods does become uncomfortable.
The HBH-PV710 sits just inside your ear with audio provided by a small speaker. The design is convenient as it can be worn on both ears thanks to the detachable ear hook, but it does become uncomfortable after prolonged use; mainly thanks to the rather large speaker and the fact that the hook digs in to your ear after a while.
We wouldn't describe the HBH-PV710 as visually appealing, even despite the interchangeable coloured face plates. Thankfully, its performance is solid, if not outstanding. The unit has a simple brown and silver design (a purple face plate is included in the package), with a Sony Ericsson logo and a large call handling button dominating the front. Once hooked over your ear and adjusted for an optimal fit, the HBH-PV710 is pleasing to use with both the call handling button and top mounted volume controls in easily accessible places.
A small indicator light above the call handling button lets you know the status of the headset. Meanwhile a constant red light denotes that the unit is charging, green means it is fully charged, while a flashing green light indicates that the HBH-PV710 is currently connected to a mobile phone.
Sound quality is average; it's fine in quiet environments, but not the best if you are in an area with a lot of background noise. Generally though, calls are crisp and clear with a decent level of clarity for a Bluetooth audio device.
Once paired, the HBH-PV710 not only enables you to send and receive calls, but you can use voice dialling tags (provided your phone supports them) and redial the last dialled phone number as well. You can also mute the headsets microphone, and transfer sound from the headset to your phone. According to Sony Ericsson figures, the HBH-PV710 provides a very reasonable 12 hours talk time and 300 hours of standby time.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Oracle's Larry Ellison isn't done building his legacy
- Ericsson's WebRTC browser available for download from the App Store
- HP to jolt 3D printer market
- Starbucks says 1 in 6 payments already mobile
- HP's radical new Machine could start computing by 2016
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW