Sony Ericsson HBH-PV710
- Decent sound quality, simple to use, good battery life
- Wearing for long periods becomes uncomfortable, less effective with background noise, isn't visually appealing
The HBH-PV710 is an average, but not outstanding Bluetooth headset.
Price$ 88.00 (AUD)
Despite being a little larger than many current Bluetooth headsets, the Sony Ericsson HBH-PV710 offers decent sound quality and is simple to use. Requiring just three small buttons to operate, the stylish HBH-PV710 also features coloured, interchangeable face plates, but wearing it for long periods does become uncomfortable.
The HBH-PV710 sits just inside your ear with audio provided by a small speaker. The design is convenient as it can be worn on both ears thanks to the detachable ear hook, but it does become uncomfortable after prolonged use; mainly thanks to the rather large speaker and the fact that the hook digs in to your ear after a while.
We wouldn't describe the HBH-PV710 as visually appealing, even despite the interchangeable coloured face plates. Thankfully, its performance is solid, if not outstanding. The unit has a simple brown and silver design (a purple face plate is included in the package), with a Sony Ericsson logo and a large call handling button dominating the front. Once hooked over your ear and adjusted for an optimal fit, the HBH-PV710 is pleasing to use with both the call handling button and top mounted volume controls in easily accessible places.
A small indicator light above the call handling button lets you know the status of the headset. Meanwhile a constant red light denotes that the unit is charging, green means it is fully charged, while a flashing green light indicates that the HBH-PV710 is currently connected to a mobile phone.
Sound quality is average; it's fine in quiet environments, but not the best if you are in an area with a lot of background noise. Generally though, calls are crisp and clear with a decent level of clarity for a Bluetooth audio device.
Once paired, the HBH-PV710 not only enables you to send and receive calls, but you can use voice dialling tags (provided your phone supports them) and redial the last dialled phone number as well. You can also mute the headsets microphone, and transfer sound from the headset to your phone. According to Sony Ericsson figures, the HBH-PV710 provides a very reasonable 12 hours talk time and 300 hours of standby time.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- BlackBerry’s PRIV hits Australian shores
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- 34 per cent of global online transactions made mobile: Adyen
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCIT Solution DesignerNSW
- CCAD and FIM EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- CCIT Service Improvement SpecialistNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCProgram Support ManagerQLD
- CCMid to Senior Level User Experience SpecialistsNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- CCSharePoint AdministratorACT
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - SecurityNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- FTProject Manager | Permanent position | NV1 NV2 cleared | Defence | Great cultureACT
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD