Sony Ericsson HCB-100
- Up to five Bluetooth, colour coded profiles, Well laid out controls, Good sound quality and noise cancellation, Good battery life
- Not quite as good as a dedicated car kit
Voice quality doesn't compare with a dedicated car kit, but the HCB-100 is competitively priced, portable, and doesn't require installation. Definitely a winner.
Price$ 120.05 (AUD)
The Sony Ericsson HCB-100 is a Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone that is designed for use in either the office or a car. Boasting above average sound quality and the ability to connect with up to five phones, the HCB-100 is an excellent device.
The HCB-100 includes a visor clip to mount in your car. It supports Bluetooth 1.2 and will work with any Bluetooth phone or computer that supports Bluetooth headsets. For use in an office, the HCB-100 can be placed on a desk and the microphone flips up to ensure better voice reception.
The controls are well laid out and marked. There are four buttons; a call key, end/power key, and two others; one to mute the microphone during a call and turn on Bluetooth pairing mode, and the other to switch between the five Bluetooth profiles available and check battery life. The HCB-100 has a coloured LED that tells the user which of the unit's five available profiles are being used, and a volume control on the side; the latter is used to adjust both the ringing and in-call volume of the speakerphone.
The HCB-100 functions much like a standard Bluetooth headset. Calls can be answered or rejected at the touch of a button. Pressing the call key enables voice dialling (if supported by the mobile phone), while pressing twice redials. In terms of audio quality, the HCB-100 does a very reasonable job. We experienced no echo, although of course you'll need to close your car windows most of the time to avoid wind noise. The flip-out microphone definitely helps a little in this regard.
The HCB-100 measures 91mm x 76mm x 21mm and weighs 91g although the visor clip will add an additional 21g when attached. According to Sony Ericsson, the HCB-100 has an impressive battery life, rated at up to 20 hours of talk time and 250 hours of standby time. The unit is charged via the included car charger and importantly, it automatically turns off after 10 minutes without a connection, saving valuable battery life.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- BlackBerry readies a more secure version of the Samsung Galaxy S7
- Android device updates: Nougat rollout begins for the Moto Z Play
- ZTE pays US$892M settlement to US over illegal sales to Iran
- Google Assistant learns how to read texts as its prime-time rollout continues
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieQLD
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!ACT
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCIT SharePoint SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior C# Analyst Programmer, Product & MarketsNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Data GovernanceNSW
- FTMid Level PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk Support Analyst x3QLD
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTDirector, Centre for Cyber Security SolutionsVIC
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTProject AnalystNSW
- CCCloud Infrastructure SpecialistNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- TPBusiness Project Manager - DigitalNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCBig Data Developer - Government - 12 Month Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT