Sony Ericsson HCB-105
Sony Ericsson's new Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone provides good mobile phone call quality.
- Clean, easy to use design, good sound quality
- Wind noise can be an audio issue, fluctuating outgoing audio
The Sony Ericsson HCB-105 does not offer anything new or groundbreaking, but remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a competent speakerphone.
Price$ 95.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's latest Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone is a basic unit that possesses good sound quality and excellent battery life. The HCB-105 does not offer any groundbreaking features, but it remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a well performing speakerphone.
The HCB-105 is slim and rather long device with a fairly minimalist design. It has a dark grey finish that has been selected to match the décor of most modern cars. The included visor clip is suited for in car use, but it can also act as a desk stand if you want to use this device in an office environment.
The controls are very straightforward to use. The HCB-105 includes just three buttons; volume up and down keys, as well as an answer/end call key and dedicated power button that are combined into one multifunction key. An indicator light sits between these controls, denoting the different functions of the unit, including when it is in pairing mode or is connected to a mobile phone.
Once paired, the HCB-105 functions much like a standard Bluetooth headset. Mobile phone calls can be answered or rejected by pressing the multifunction button, while pressing the button twice redials the last number called. You can also transfer the sound from your phone to the speakerphone or vice versa by simply pressing the multifunction button while on a call. Other functions include voice dialling (if supported by your mobile phone) and the ability to mute the microphone while on a call.
Sound quality is above average, although not outstanding. We found the best results were obtained when the driver side window in our car was closed — wind noise is an audio issue when the window is open. Our callers sometimes complained about the lack of volume in our voice, although this was not a regular occurrence in testing.
According to Sony Ericsson, the HCB-105 has an impressive battery life, rated at up to 25 hours of talk time and 700 hours of standby time. The unit is charged via the included proprietary car charger. Importantly, the device automatically turns off after 10 minutes without a connection, thereby saving battery life.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- CCSr. SQL Server DBANSW
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW