Sony Ericsson HCB-105
Sony Ericsson's new Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone provides good mobile phone call quality.
- Clean, easy to use design, good sound quality
- Wind noise can be an audio issue, fluctuating outgoing audio
The Sony Ericsson HCB-105 does not offer anything new or groundbreaking, but remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a competent speakerphone.
Price$ 95.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's latest Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone is a basic unit that possesses good sound quality and excellent battery life. The HCB-105 does not offer any groundbreaking features, but it remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a well performing speakerphone.
The HCB-105 is slim and rather long device with a fairly minimalist design. It has a dark grey finish that has been selected to match the décor of most modern cars. The included visor clip is suited for in car use, but it can also act as a desk stand if you want to use this device in an office environment.
The controls are very straightforward to use. The HCB-105 includes just three buttons; volume up and down keys, as well as an answer/end call key and dedicated power button that are combined into one multifunction key. An indicator light sits between these controls, denoting the different functions of the unit, including when it is in pairing mode or is connected to a mobile phone.
Once paired, the HCB-105 functions much like a standard Bluetooth headset. Mobile phone calls can be answered or rejected by pressing the multifunction button, while pressing the button twice redials the last number called. You can also transfer the sound from your phone to the speakerphone or vice versa by simply pressing the multifunction button while on a call. Other functions include voice dialling (if supported by your mobile phone) and the ability to mute the microphone while on a call.
Sound quality is above average, although not outstanding. We found the best results were obtained when the driver side window in our car was closed — wind noise is an audio issue when the window is open. Our callers sometimes complained about the lack of volume in our voice, although this was not a regular occurrence in testing.
According to Sony Ericsson, the HCB-105 has an impressive battery life, rated at up to 25 hours of talk time and 700 hours of standby time. The unit is charged via the included proprietary car charger. Importantly, the device automatically turns off after 10 minutes without a connection, thereby saving battery life.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD