Sony Ericsson HCB-105
Sony Ericsson's new Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone provides good mobile phone call quality.
- Clean, easy to use design, good sound quality
- Wind noise can be an audio issue, fluctuating outgoing audio
The Sony Ericsson HCB-105 does not offer anything new or groundbreaking, but remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a competent speakerphone.
Price$ 95.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Sony Ericsson's latest Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone is a basic unit that possesses good sound quality and excellent battery life. The HCB-105 does not offer any groundbreaking features, but it remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a well performing speakerphone.
The HCB-105 is slim and rather long device with a fairly minimalist design. It has a dark grey finish that has been selected to match the décor of most modern cars. The included visor clip is suited for in car use, but it can also act as a desk stand if you want to use this device in an office environment.
The controls are very straightforward to use. The HCB-105 includes just three buttons; volume up and down keys, as well as an answer/end call key and dedicated power button that are combined into one multifunction key. An indicator light sits between these controls, denoting the different functions of the unit, including when it is in pairing mode or is connected to a mobile phone.
Once paired, the HCB-105 functions much like a standard Bluetooth headset. Mobile phone calls can be answered or rejected by pressing the multifunction button, while pressing the button twice redials the last number called. You can also transfer the sound from your phone to the speakerphone or vice versa by simply pressing the multifunction button while on a call. Other functions include voice dialling (if supported by your mobile phone) and the ability to mute the microphone while on a call.
Sound quality is above average, although not outstanding. We found the best results were obtained when the driver side window in our car was closed — wind noise is an audio issue when the window is open. Our callers sometimes complained about the lack of volume in our voice, although this was not a regular occurrence in testing.
According to Sony Ericsson, the HCB-105 has an impressive battery life, rated at up to 25 hours of talk time and 700 hours of standby time. The unit is charged via the included proprietary car charger. Importantly, the device automatically turns off after 10 minutes without a connection, thereby saving battery life.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW