Sony Ericsson MBS-100
Unidentified flying… speaker?
- Quirky design, simple operation, excellent sound quality considering its size
- Battery is non-removable
This strange-looking device is actually a very useful speaker. Don’t let the design fool you, as Sony Ericsson’s MBS-100 is a commendable mobile phone accessory.
Price$ 108.00 (AUD)
Described by Sony Ericsson as a "wireless sphere of music”, the MBS-100 is a portable Bluetooth speaker with a twist. This circular speaker could be compared to a number of different objects including a spider, a moon rock or even a UFO!
The MBS-100 is a large plastic circle finished in matte black plastic. Although it’s a little too big to cup comfortably in your hand, the speaker is ideal for travelling as it runs off a rechargeable battery. Despite the all-plastic design and the fact that the unit is light, it feels quite solid and well built.
The speaker grille consists of different sized circles etched into the casing, each circle covered by standard black speaker mesh, similar to those found on regular speakers and hi-fi systems. Underneath the MBS-100 is a standard 3.5mm jack for connecting a non-Bluetooth audio source, as well as power and Bluetooth buttons. The battery is non-removable and is charged via the included proprietary AC adapter.
Pairing the MBS-100 is effortless: simply hold down the Bluetooth button until the light on the front flashes red and green to denote pairing mode. Search for the MBS-100 on your phone, enter the default passcode (0000) and you’re done. When paired, the light will slowly flash green.
Apart from the design, what really impressed us was the sound quality. For a unit so small, it certainly packs quite a punch and it is capable of very loud volumes. The quality obviously isn’t fantastic, but considering the portability factor we were extremely impressed. The unit produces enough punch to fill a small room with sound. Even when listening at near full volume there was no major distortion evident. We tested the unit by pairing it to the W980i, and the sound quality via A2DP Bluetooth was excellent. We also used a standard line-in cable (not included) to connect the MBS-100 to an iPhone 3G and the results were similarly impressive.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- New Samsung loyalty program hints that the Note line may not be dead after all
- Google's Pixel XL is much easier to repair than the Nexus 6P
- Google Keep adds app shortcuts, pinned messages in update
- New Windows 10 preview adds an iPhone Live Photos rival, Windows Ink improvements
- The Note7 will cost Samsung another US$3 billion in profit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationVIC
- TPTraining LeadVIC
- CCWebpage Designer - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCInformation Content EditorVIC
- FTDirector Data AnalyticsACT
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCITSM Process AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Middleware Specialist MQ/TibcoVIC
- TPProject Manager. AutomationNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 161031/AP/512Asia
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantWA
- FTProgram SchedulerNSW
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementACT
- CCApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclipse) 161007/AP/vmpAsia
- CCTest EngineerNSW
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- FTFront End Developer / UXNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - PermanentACT
- CCQA Test Lead- Digital, Mobile, UX, AGILE, CloudNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW