Sony Ericsson W660i
- Solid build quality, bright clear screen, user interface
- Cramped keypad, a little expensive for features offered
The W660i has a solid, polished feel and comes with a slick user interface, but the cramped keypad is a downside
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The stylish 3G enabled W660i from Sony Ericsson is the latest in the Walkman range, and it boasts a slim form-factor and Walkman 2.0 software.
The W660i has the usual main features you'd expect from a modern phone - MMS, SMS, email, instant messaging, Bluetooth, and USB 2.0. Video calling is also available.
It has a bright, well illuminated 262k colour screen with a resolution of 176x220 pixels. The default 'Walkman' theme has a slick, clean feel and the large text is easy to read. We noticed that the alternate themes can slow down the responsiveness of general navigation, and can be a little slow to light-up from standby. The viewing angle of the display is impressive.
The W660i comes with 16MB of in-built memory, and our review unit was supplied with a 512MB Sony Memory Stick Micro via the expansion slot.
Getting organised is easy thanks to a robust feature set of alarm, calendar, notes, reminders, task list, and timer. All note-type features are able to set reminder alarms to go off, just in case you need another reminder at a later time or date.
As this is a Walkman phone, the MP3 player that comes with it is feature packed, but keep in mind that extra memory will have to be added for more than a few songs. Navigation is easy and simple, with album artwork, time, and track number shown while playing audio. Unfortunately, the text size for the song information is small and is sometimes hard to read in bright light. The W660i includes proprietary earphones; if you want to use your own, you'll have to purchase a 3.5mm adaptor.
The quality of the 2 megapixel camera with 2.5x digital zoom is very good in a well-lit area. The clarity of the pictures we took in a general office environment under 'normal' mode were impressive with their crispness. The camera offers additional features such as video, shoot mode, night mode, self-timer, effects, white balance and picture quality. Shoot mode gave additional options such as panorama, framing and burst.
One interesting feature the W660i comes with is 'TrackID', a service which allows you to take a small recording of a song from the radio or speaker, then send it over the internet. You will then get a reply of the information of the song, including song title, artist, and album name if it is available.
As nice as it looks and feels, the black coating on the W660i smudges very easily and does detract from the smooth finish. Controls consist of a five-way keypad, two selection keys, two back/clear keys and two shortcut keys. Both the backlit navigational keys and the keypad are small, so they can be frustrating at times when navigating the menus or quickly typing a SMS.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung files artificial muscle patent for use in flexible smartphones
- The affordable new Moto E grows in size, but not price
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 821 is now the company's fastest mobile chip
- Snapchat launches Memories so you can save and search for past stories
- RIP: The BlackBerry Classic and its iconic keyboard is dead
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSoftware Developer- CobolACT
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- CCGuidewire Developer - Policy Center 8NSW
- FTTest ManagerACT
- CCData Entry - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCCommunication LeadVIC
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Back-end .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW