Spatial View Inc. 3DeeCamera iPhone app
"3D" comes to the iPhone courtesy of the Wazabee 3DeeShell and 3DeeCamera app, but the results aren't fantastic.
- "3D" effect is a cool party trick
- Bulky case, 3DeeLens can scratch iPhone screen, no way to manipulate both images, expensive
Though 3DeeCamera seems like a cheap and fun iPhone app, the added cost of the 3DeeShell and the disappointing results didn't impress us.
Price$ 1.19 (AUD)
It may seem like a gimmicky relic from 1950s cinemas, but these days everything from IMAX cinema to Samsung and Sony high-definition TVs are implementing 3D technology. Apple's iPhone is joining the trend thanks to Spatial View's Wazabee 3DeeShell and its 3DeeCamera app. Although there is plenty of potential, the results are disappointing.
The Wazabee 3DeeShell is a hard case for the iPhone 3G. It provides a small slot in front of the iPhone screen that you can insert the proprietary 3DeeLens into. The 3DeeLens is highly abrasive on the side facing the iPhone and given the tight fit of the case, it can easily scratch the mobile phone's screen. An anti-glare protective layer is included, but this also becomes easily scratched and will probably need to be replaced regularly to get the best image. You can't use the majority of the iPhone's screen when the 3DeeLens is inserted, so you will have to continually insert and remove it.
Using the 3DeeCamera app itself is rather simple. The 3DeeLens covers 75 per cent of the iPhone's screen and the bottom navigation bar in 3DeeCamera has been designed so that it resides in the uncovered portion of the handset's display. This means you can use most functions without having to remove the 3DeeLens, though choosing photos from a photo library will require you to have full access to the iPhone screen.
3DeeCamera works by combining two images and interpolating them to create a semi-3D representation of the two. The images can be taking with the iPhone's camera or retrieved from the photo album. We found the app worked best when using two similar images from slightly different perspectives. When viewed through the 3DeeLens, the combined images are reminiscent of the fake "3D" effect on some Pokemon cards or Tazos rather than true 3D. Images certainly won't pop out at you as the "3D" moniker might suggest.
The app automatically aligns the two images to achieve the best results, but if you aren't happy with this then there are limited manual editing options available. Unfortunately, the app only allows the last imported image to be edited rather than both of the pictures. 3DeeCamera can also present the images in "anaglyph" mode (showing them in inverted colours) for easier editing.
3DeeCamera's low price tag is certainly appealing for a quick look by any adventurous iPhone user but beware that you will need to purchase the 3DeeShell separately at a cost of $US49.99. It may be a cool party trick, but it's likely to become a discarded toy quite quickly.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTBusiness Intelligence Team LeadVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCVMWare SpecialistACT
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia