Square Enix Chrono Trigger
One of the best releases of 2008.
- An amazing update to one of the best console RPG games ever produced
- The only bad thing is that the game eventually ends
Square Enix knocks one out of the park with this superb re-release of the one of the most influential games in role playing history!
Normally, when I hear that a classic game is being ported to a handheld, I become skeptical because the usual result is a no-frills port meant to cash in on gamers' nostalgia. But thankfully, Square Enix isn't that kind of company. They put a lot of care into their ports and I'm incredibly happy to report that they truly went the extra mile with Chrono Trigger DS. They've kept the magic of the original intact while adding subtle improvements and innovative features that truly enhance the classic experience. It is without a doubt one of the best releases of 2008.
A Timeless Classic
Chrono Trigger's time-bending narrative is really well served by the DS' hardware. The touch screen is put to excellent use, with things like an overhead map and inventory access laid out in an intuitive manner-everything you need to keep your party in shape is right there at your stylus tip. You can literally swap out party members, equip them with the latest gear, save your game, and never have to hit the pause button.
When you engage in combat, the touch screen displays an in-depth battle menu, allowing you to select techniques, items, magics and target specific enemies with the stylus in real time. This makes the battles flow like clockwork, with quick, responsive menus that you can navigate with ease. But the best part is that there is a Classic mode that you can switch to on the fly in case you want to keep it old school and use standard controls.
Back To The Future
Chrono Trigger DS also includes the fantastic animated cut-scenes from the Final Fantasy Chronicles re-release as well as a touched-up script and a brand new Arena mode. In the game's Arena, you're given the task of raising a small Nu monster and sending him through various time periods to train and learn new techniques. Once trained, you can pit your monster against other players via the game's Wi-Fi support, or simply battle the computer. It's a quirky and interesting diversion that only adds to the massive Chrono Trigger universe by supplying the player with even more to do.
By this point the verdict is obvious: I can't recommend Chrono Trigger DS highly enough. The original was a classic in its own right but Square Enix has made it even more special with this excellent handheld port. Regardless of whether you played it already or are new to the series, you owe it to yourself to check out this amazing title.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- TPUI/UX ConsultantWA
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Positive Vetting, NV2 or NV1 required!!!!SA
- CCCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- CCSenior Mobile Application DeveloperNSW
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCServiceNOW DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW