Square Enix Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Finally, Rocket, the blue blob mascot of the Dragon Warrior franchise gets his own adventure on the Nintendo DS.
- Simple, fun
- Simple, short
The simplicity and relatively short play time of the game may turn off some gamers, but others, especially those who don't have a lot of time on their hands, might find this one a keeper.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The premise? Rocket's hometown, Boingburg, is invaded by the evil Plobs who have captured all the slimes.Your mission? To rescue each and every one of them, and, consequently, take down the Plobs in order to ensure peace for all.
One of the main attractions of Rocket Slime lies in its simplistic gameplay. The control scheme is very elementary and straightforward, consisting only of the D-pad and the B button. The touchscreen interface is scarcely used, if at all, in this game; however, for this kind of adventure genre, using a stylus is largely unnecessary.
There is virtually no learning curve in Rocketslime because of the simple control system and the fact that there's really only one attack move — the Elasto Blast. Rocket stretches himself out and slingshots like a rubber band towards baddies, across obstacles, or into treasure chests to spill forth their contents (which often times happen to be your fellow slimes).
In addition, Rocket can float momentarily in the air and can also bounce to travel from one place to another or roll across the landscape at incredible speeds. He can also carry up to three items or monsters on his back, which can then be thrown at other monsters. Furthermore, instead of giving him a backpack, Rocket must either go back to town with the items and/or monsters on him or throw the items and/or monsters onto the trains that run from all levels back to town in order to keep them in Rocket's inventory.
Tank You Very Much
What makes Rocket Slime different from other games is the tank battles. In order to save some of the slimes, Rocket must challenge baddies to a tank battle which consists of Rocket loading ammo into cannons and firing them away at an enemy tank. The ammo can be anything that was found during his journey, ranging from broken statues and treasure chests to swords and bombs.
There is also the element of alchemy which allows players to combine items to make new, perhaps even better ones. Tank battles can get quite challenging, and although it may sound dry in theory, the cartoony attitude of the game as a whole, as well as the various obstacles that may arise during the tank battles make them more addicting than cumbersome.
A few simple puzzles do exist in the form of duplicating a combination of items and/or monsters carried on you while standing on a certain spot; however, the game never gets so difficult where one might give up from frustration. The pun-filled, borderline cheesy dialogue, the characters, the gameplay and the different levels give the game a personality.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Use Feedback Hub to complain to Microsoft about Windows 10
- Total War: Warhammer DirectX 12 performance preview: Radeon reigns supreme
- Microsoft brings Halo 5's map editor to Windows 10 for free, but stays quiet about Halo 5
- What is WESA and what it means for eSports: Counter-Strike got its own version of FIFA
- Microsoft is killing Project Spark, its ambitious cross-platform creation game
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCQA OfficerACT
- FTDynamics Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCProject Manager - Healthcare DomainSA
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer | DC Relocation |VoIP Refresh | CCNA | CCNPNSW
- CCChange manager/Change LeadNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160523/AP/568Asia
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCIT Technical WriterACT
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- FTSenior Java Developer / Technical LeadACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | Routing & switching | Design, implementation, L3 supportNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCApplication Packaging ExpertVIC
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW