Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
The Valkyrie Profile franchise has been going strong for over a decade now
- Addictive and accessible gameplay, fun-to-master battle mechanics
- Excessive text dialogue, formulaic presentation
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is an addictive RPG that is able to adequately separate itself from the me-too crowd with an accessible and unique battle system. It's surprisingly simple to pick up and play, but like any good RPG worth its weight in gold pieces, the real reward comes from mastering its finer points.
The Valkyrie Profile franchise has been going strong for over a decade now. Ever since the original debuted on the original PlayStation, fans have been looting and leveling their way through instalments of the Norse mythology-infused RPG series. DS owners have had to wait patiently to get their hands on a Valkyrie title but it was worth the wait: Covenant of the Plume is a deep, yet accessible experience that franchise fans can be proud of yet it's accessible enough that even newcomers will find it difficult to put down.
As Wylfred, a young warrior seeking vengeance against a god for his father's death, players embark on a battle-heavy quest, complete with the requisite lush fantasy lands, mythological beasts, and NPC's that like to talk a bit too much. Of course, angsty heroes that wouldn't look out of place in a boy band are also out in full force. The game's coolest feature, its battle system, is about 90% turn-based and 10% real-time, allowing for a compelling mix of cerebral tactical strategy cut with the satisfying ability to whack your enemies with giant swords. The system unfolds on an isometric grid, encouraging effective flanking attacks that make for some rewarding encounters, especially when your screen is brimming with baddies. Once engaged, you're able to unleash all members of your party-mapped to the four face buttons -- individually and in supported strikes for a variety of melee, ranged and magic-based attacks.
The Weight of a Quill
The titular feather also plays a significant role in the game's battling, as Wylfred can assign its power to an ally, granting him or her with near-invincible skills. The battlefield-clearing upgrade comes with a steep price, though, as the melee's conclusion will see the plume's host so overwhelmed by its power that they drop dead. This tide-turning mechanic really ups the ante when the odds are against you, forcing a weighty decision be made that could find you choosing success, but with deep sacrifice in the heat of battle.
Fantasy RPG fans will find a lot of familiarity in Covenant of the Plume's somewhat formulaic story and presentation, but the addictive battling and character leveling should keep them gripped till the closing credits. The title's refreshing accessibility also makes it a perfect entry point for those new to this under-the-radar franchise. Just be careful who you give that feather to.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- CCTest LeadQLD
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCIT Operations Centre EngineerQLD
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPIteration ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- FTDeveloper - XML & JavaVIC