Stardock BootSkin 1.05a
- Small download, Simple interface, works a charm
- Not many BootSkins to choose from
If customizing your windows experience is something on your list of priorities, then BootSkin is the program for you.
Every day it's the same old thing; the black screen and that windows logo day in and day out. But what if you could change your windows load screen? What if there was a way to make it anything your heart desired? Thanks to Stardock there is a safe and easy way to customise your windows boot screen with BootSkin 1.05a.
BootSkin is a tiny program which take no time at all to set up. Once installed you can choose from five preset boot screens or head over to the BootSkin website to choose from a further 25. If you fancy yourself a bit of a designer you can also try your hand at making your own boot screens using the tools provided on the Stardock website.
We found the program extremely easy to use and had no problems downloading the extra skins from the website. However, the skins available are made by the modding community and, as such, they vary in quality. Some are good but many are just variations on skins already made available. With the right know-how involving graphic design, this would be a supremely useful program.
Since BootSkin doesn't change the Windows XP system files to accomplish its task, it is completely safe to use. We changed the boot screen ten times in a row and had no problems whatsoever.
If customizing your windows experience is something on your list of priorities, then BootSkin is the program for you. Although there aren't many skin choices on their website, it is still a great idea which has been executed well.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
- Microsoft sues repeat software pirate who owes company $1.2M from prior case
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW