Strong Technologies SRT5390
- Ease of operation
- Lack of USB port
This SRT5390 provides excellent digital TV reception and adequate recording, timeshifting and playback functions. It lacks a USB port for transferring recorded programs to a PC.
Price$ 479.00 (AUD)
With a 120GB hard drive in its belly, the Strong SRT5390 can record and store close to 60 hours of very good quality MPEG-2 video.
Getting started with this unit is a matter of connecting your antenna cable to the set-top box, and then connecting the antenna output to your TV. Then you simply turn the unit on and tune your TV so that it finds the signal coming from the set-top box.
It didn't take long at all for our TV to find the Strong unit, and in our tests it performed splendidly. It tuned into all of the available digital free-to-air channels in a very short amount of time and displayed them flawlessly. Indeed, we were watching TV within 15 minutes of opening the box (even though there was nothing on worth watching at 1pm). It also detected the HD channels that were available, even though it isn't able to view these channels. We were able to edit these out of our favourite channels list very easily.
Its on-screen menu system is logical and well laid-out, but it does take some time to get used to some of its functions, especially when playing back programs.
You can also use the Strong unit to timeshift live TV programs, as long as you start recording them beforehand. That means if you want to sit back and enjoy the footy without interruptions, you should hit the record button just prior to kick-off. That way, if someone knocks on you door or calls during the middle of the game to recommend you change phone carriers, you can just hit the pause button and ensure that you don't miss a second of the action.
Recorded programs can also be split and even marked with skip points (up to 10), so you can cut out parts of a recording you don't want to watch. This unit also allows you to record a program and play one back at the same time.
This unit is lacks a USB port for transferring recorded programs to your PC for archiving. It has a range of other output ports--SCART, composite, RF and S-Video output as well as coaxial digital and optical digital audio output.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTJunior Applications SupportVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSoftware Tech Lead - C++ Back Office Trading SystemsNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork Testing Integration SpecialistVIC
- FTData ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- FTGIS Software DeveloperQLD
- FTSCCM AdministratorACT
- CCIT SharePoint SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Project Scheduler- Port MacquarieNSW
- FTArcFM DeveloperNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Forecasting SASNSW
- FTSenior Android DeveloperNSW
- TPProcess Business Analyst - Digital InnovationNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTTest LeadNSW
- FTFinancial ERP Customer - Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTMobile Studio Lead/ Mobile UX LeadNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerQLD
- TPSenior/Lead AEM DeveloperQLD