Swann Communications MicroCam II
- Very small, decent image quality
- Slightly expensive, suffers from interference
Decent performance and a diminutive size make the MicroCam II a winner
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Every man secretly wants to be James Bond. Let's face it, who wouldn't want cool gadgets, flash cars and even flashier women? Shame about the Martinis though, everyone knows only pansies drink them shaken. Anyone wanting to fulfill their 007 dream should look no further than Swann's MicroCam II. Okay, it isn't going to get you cars and women, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.
The MicroCam II is basically a very small camera. It's roughly cube shaped, each side being about 2cm long. Trailing from the camera is a short power cord. This can be connected using the included AC adapter, or for true portability, the included 9V battery attachment means no wires are needed at all. The battery powered option was our favourite as the camera really is very small and with no need for mains power, can be concealed almost anywhere. The camera does not have the ability to record images, instead containing a wireless transmitter. Using the included receiver it is then possible to watch streaming video on your television. Despite its diminutive frame, the MicroCam II also boasts a microphone meaning that audio can also be transmitted. The receiver is incredibly easy to set up, basically plug it in to the composite input on your TV and away you go.
We found the MicroCam II's image quality to be remarkably good for such a tiny camera. It is by no means outstanding, but the microscopic lens does the job perfectly well. Distant objects look a little blurry, but for use around the home this isn't a problem. The audio transmission also works well, with clearly audible sound. We managed to attain a decent range from the wireless receiver, well over 20m, without interference. However, this distance falls dramatically with the introduction of walls. We tried using the camera through a couple of walls and up a flight of stairs and were disappointed with the results. Picture quality isn't as adversely affected as the sound.
The obstructions created two horizontal bars of static on our television but this was a minor annoyance , as the image was still visible for the most part. The real problem was with reference to sound,as a crackling noise obscured most of the audio, making it virtually useless. We weren't sure if this was purely the obstruction caused by the walls or interference of another kind. In certain parts of our office we received so much interference we could barely make out the image on-screen. This was despite the camera being only 2m away from the receiver. If you plan on using the camera in areas full of wireless interference and electronic noise, this is worth bearing in mind.
As funny as it may seem, Swann don't actually market the camera as a spy accessory. We think they're missing an opportunity there. Swann seem to think it would be better used to check for leaves in your guttering. Doesn't quite have the same appeal as covert surveillance, does it? However you wish to use the camera, it is very easy to set up and offers a compact, portable frame. It is likely to suffer from mild interference, and perhaps is a little pricey, but is still a solid little purchase.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
- Twitter's new Apple TV, Fire TV, and Xbox One apps are all about video, not tweets
- Sony's PlayStation 4 'Shingen' update adds HDR support to every PS4 console
- New TiVo Bolt+ is a DVR powerhouse rolling out September 15
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCWAN Architect and ConsultantWA
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT