Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0
Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 adds Norton Insight to speed up quick scans for this comprehensive Windows security package
- Norton Insight, small footprint, improved system performance in some areas
- Some users might be a bit intimidated by the number of features, can increase boot time
The sheer range of features crammed into Norton 360 might seem a bit daunting for less technically-included users. But Norton 360 provides wide-ranging protection against malware and internet security threats, along with useful tools for fine-tuning your PC’s performance. It costs $30 more than the Norton Internet Security 2010 suite and provides licences for three PCs, helping your household to stay protected for $129.99 per year.
Price$ 129.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- The Norton Reader by Linda Peterson 77.79
Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 is a suite of tools that combines the anti-malware and anti-phishing features of Norton Internet Security 2010 (NIS), with the PC tune-up tools of Norton Utilities.
The anti-malware protection of NIS has been enhanced by ‘Quorum' - the reputation-based monitoring system introduced in the 2010 edition. Norton Insight aims to speed up the scan process by whitelisting known safe files on your PC.
Other new features in Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 tend to focus on fine-tuning your PC's performance by monitoring the resource usage of applications and identifying potential slow-downs and other problems.
We were initially a bit concerned by how much Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 would cause a slow-down of its own. The first thing we noticed after installation was that boot time of our Windows 7 laptop increased by around 30%. But that was the only aspect of performance that seemed to suffer.
Gamers often worry that anti-virus software running in the background can hinder games performance. Some quick tests with Far Cry 2 revealed only a minor dip in speed of just over 1%, from 41.5fps to 41fps.
Some tasks actually ran faster after we had allowed Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 to run a quick disk tune-up and clean-out of registry files. Copying a 2GB batch of photos and video clips onto our hard disk from a USB stick improved from 124 seconds before installing Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0, to 111 seconds afterwards, which includes the time required to scan the incoming files for viruses.
Most of the time you can just leave Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 running automatically in the background, but there are some other useful options available for people who want to dig a bit deeper.
Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 can display graphs of processor and memory usage to indicate which programs might be causing problems, and there's a Startup Manager that allows you to turn off startup items altogether, or simply delay them so that they don't load until you specifically allow it.
Finally, Symantec throws in 2GB of online storage with Symantec Norton 360 Version 4.0 from its newly launched Norton Online Backup service, which is available for the duration of the software's 12-month subscription life.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple slates March 21 event, with 4-in. iPhone likely on the stage
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- ASUS launches world’s first liquid-cooled gaming laptop
- Tablets replace books for kids back at school
- Dell agrees to acquire EMC for US$67 billion
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram ManagementWA
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- Process Mapping Specialist- Gov / Bank backgdNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSystems application support analystNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCTechnical Writer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- CCSolution Architect - PayrollNSW