Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0
- New features
- Nothing of note
Unless you're looking at remote management - for which you need server versions of Acronis - True Image is a slightly better and cheaper product. But Ghost is extremely close on its heels, and is evidently improving. This is one example of competition being beneficial to the development of rival products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
There used to be a clear distinction between the two main applications that created a backup image of your hard drive: Norton Ghost benefited from simplicity, while Acronis True Image pushed ahead in terms of performance. Recent releases of True Image, however, have seen its interface become incredibly slick, while Ghost has added important features, such as incremental backups, that provide much faster operation and require less space.
While Ghost 11.0 saw Symantec's product make up ground on True Image's impressive performance, version 12.0 is more about adding features. LightsOut Restore allows you to recover your system without the need for a bootable disc and it's possible to convert a recovery point to a virtual disk with all known information about your PC.
Norton Ghost offers integration with Google Desktop, allowing you to search backup indexes to locate your data, as well as remote management of other installations of Norton Ghost if you purchase extra licences. This is a product that combines an extremely easy-to-use interface with considerable power at a reasonable price. There's no excuse not to backup with a utility such as this.
Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0 is an excellent and user-friendly product. However, Acronis True Image remains a marginally better buy.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- How to restore missing desktop icons on Windows
- Microsoft declares summer's Windows 10 upgrade fit for business
- Stop pouting: Google’s Santa Tracker is updated just in time for the Christmas countdown
- You can finally watch Netflix offline now
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- CCProject Engineer (Microwave)NSW
- CCSenior Networks EngineerVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst, Board Reporting, WealthNSW
- CCSenior Information Management SMENSW
- FTIndustry Engagement ManagerVIC
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCInformation Security ConsultantNSW
- CCNetwork Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Software EngineerWA
- TPChange ManagerQLD
- FTNode Developer / ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Automation TesterVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence Technical AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Digital MarketNSW
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterSA
- CCMedical Imaging Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCIdentity and Access Management SMENSW
- CCMainframe Developer (with ASP.NET)ACT
- TPProject Coordinator. Business Process Improvement ProgramNSW
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Systems EngineerWA
- FTSenior Manager, Data and InformationQLD